PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install from CD

Arkofcovenant
February 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hey everyone, I'm kind-of new to Linux and I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu

I have a dell with a 2.2 Ghz P4 and 256 MB RAM (yuck)
I downloaded the disk image and burned it to a DVD. I go into my BIOS and tell it to boot from the DVD. I get to the Ubuntu screen that has the different CD options such as "install Ubuntu" , "memory test" , boot a live CD, etc. I can scroll through the options with the keyboard but I cannot select any of the options. What am I doing wrong? I know my keyboard works because I was able to select a language with it.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thx,
Ark

sahabcse
February 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
In which ubutnu version you have downloaded???

StephenOK
February 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Hey everyone, I'm kind-of new to Linux and I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu

I have a dell with a 2.2 Ghz P4 and 256 MB RAM (yuck)
I downloaded the disk image and burned it to a DVD. I go into my BIOS and tell it to boot from the DVD. I get to the Ubuntu screen that has the different CD options such as "install Ubuntu" , "memory test" , boot a live CD, etc. I can scroll through the options with the keyboard but I cannot select any of the options. What am I doing wrong? I know my keyboard works because I was able to select a language with it.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thx,
Ark

Did you make sure that you downloaded the version with the proper chipset for your system?

avtolle
February 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
The first thought that occurs to me is the RAM on your system. To use the Live CD (in your case, DVD) installer requires a minimum of 384 MB RAM. I'd give the alternate CD a go, a text based installer which requires a minimum of 256 MB RAM.

The next thought that occurs is to inquire whether you have considered installing Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu, as it comes with a lighter desktop, and runs better on lower RAM systems than Ubuntu.

avtolle
February 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements#Desktop%20installation for some additional information.

UbuntuNerd
February 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
"avtolle"
The first thought that occurs to me is the RAM on your system. To use the Live CD (in your case, DVD) installer requires a minimum of 384 MB RAM. I'd give the alternate CD a go, a text based installer which requires a minimum of 256 MB RAM.

The next thought that occurs is to inquire whether you have considered installing Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu, as it comes with a lighter desktop, and runs better on lower RAM systems than Ubuntu.
I second that, here some instruction on how to install Xubuntu:
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/HOWTO:_Install_Xubuntu