PDA

View Full Version : Now is the time!

cjnkns
February 26th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I have posted and replied to threads about being frustrated with Linux. Sometimes I have even felt like removing Linux and going ALL MS all the time.

But, tonight while posting to a forum it occurred to me that I have been using my Linux laptop (w/ Ubuntu installed ) pretty much exclusively.
There are many things I love when on my laptop one is the dictionary application. That thing is so freakin' helpful sometimes.

Somethings I do not like is that when companies (Google) creates an application (Picasa) they make you use it in Wine on Linux. I really, really hate that. Picasa in Wine runs and looks like garbage IMO.

Anyway, my point is I was working on my laptop tonight and realized. When I come home I pretty much use my Linux laptop the entire time. My Windows desktop sits idle. Which for me was amazing because it means I am getting used to a different way of thinking and doing things. I think Linux right now has an opportunity to break into the desktop market like never before.

The economy is a wreck people are looking for ways to save money! The only problem is that it seems that computer manufacturers (i think) sell Linux laptops (with Free Software) for almost the same price as a laptop with MS installed. Why is that?

Another thing is that when I install Linux/Ubuntu I spend a couple weeks looking for just the right them, configuring fonts, mp3 and other codecs. Just to get my system to a usable state. When someone buys a Dell lappy with Ubuntu installed is this already setup? If not this is a MUST! They system should be beautiful right from the first boot. I know to many geeks thats not a big deal, but I think it would show a certain amount of professionalism and care involved in developing the OS. Compiz configured as a default?
Looks are everything sometimes!

I just needed to get this off my chest. Linux is a great system I think Linux and FOSS have an unbelievable opportunity and should take advantage of it.

dragos240
February 26th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I have posted and replied to threads about being frustrated with Linux. Sometimes I have even felt like removing Linux and going ALL MS all the time.

But, tonight while posting to a forum it occurred to me that I have been using my Linux laptop (w/ Ubuntu installed ) pretty much exclusively.
There are many things I love when on my laptop one is the dictionary application. That thing is so freakin' helpful sometimes.

Somethings I do not like is that when companies (Google) creates an application (Picasa) they make you use it in Wine on Linux. I really, really hate that. Picasa in Wine runs and looks like garbage IMO.

Anyway, my point is I was working on my laptop tonight and realized. When I come home I pretty much use my Linux laptop the entire time. My Windows desktop sits idle. Which for me was amazing because it means I am getting used to a different way of thinking and doing things. I think Linux right now has an opportunity to break into the desktop market like never before.

The economy is a wreck people are looking for ways to save money! The only problem is that it seems that computer manufacturers (i think) sell Linux laptops (with Free Software) for almost the same price as a laptop with MS installed. Why is that?

Another thing is that when I install Linux/Ubuntu I spend a couple weeks looking for just the right them, configuring fonts, mp3 and other codecs. Just to get my system to a usable state. When someone buys a Dell lappy with Ubuntu installed is this already setup? If not this is a MUST! They system should be beautiful right from the first boot. I know to many geeks thats not a big deal, but I think it would show a certain amount of professionalism and care involved in developing the OS. Compiz configured as a default?
Looks are everything sometimes!

I just needed to get this off my chest. Linux is a great system I think Linux and FOSS have an unbelievable opportunity and should take advantage of it.

No, i think ubuntu preinstalled should be left as it is, i haven't customized it really all that much, and i'm loving it, if you want a linux that is nice, and shiny from the start, mint is for you. But for the rest of us, it's ubuntu.

wolfen69
February 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM

i use the dictionary taskbar widget for that. it's nice.

wolfen69
February 26th, 2009, 04:13 AM
My Windows desktop sits idle. Which for me was amazing because it means I am getting used to a different way of thinking and doing things.

maybe someday you'll wipe it out and run linux only. :-k

you could always run windows in virtualbox if you really needed it for something.

Skripka
February 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM

Because they can.

Bölvağur
February 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
maybe someday you'll wipe it out and run linux only. :-k

I wouldn't press it.
It just happens naturally after not booting it up for half a year and either need more storage space and find the 20GiB windows is hogging is taking too much. Or you are doing a complete new partition scheme and it gets wiped out on the way.

wildman4god
February 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Every now and then, I find my self a little frustrated with Linux (mainly the lack of third party and vendor support) and then I boot into xp and I quickly realize why Linux is so great.

Johnsie
February 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've been using Linux for years and threads like this have been coming up the whole time. There's nothing wrong with being positive about things, but people need to be realistic. Every year there is someone who says "this could be the year of Linux on the desktop".

It's very easy to brainwash yourself into believing Linux is bigger than it really is, especially when you spend most of your computing time on Linux and visiting Linux websites. In the real world a very small proportion of people use or have any desire to use Linux. Most don't know what it is and aren't interested in finding out what it is. They have better things (in their opinion) to be doing than playing around with operating systems