PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie Ubuntu installation-which version?

Got wick?
February 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I am wondering how to know which installation version to use?

I first downloaded the 32 bit version, installed fine, ran fine with the exception of the wireless usb adapter. What happened at first was it saw the network, but could not connect. After a few reboots, it did not even come up in the hardware list.

Then I realized when I downloaded wine, that I had the i386 version installed, and my machine has AMD 64 processor. I installed the 64 bit version, but what happens is that I login, it loads up to the point where it plays the African music, then the screen either goes black or has garbled graphics, and loops back to the login screen.

Any suggestions?

ps: I still have the other version in the bootup screen.

Update: Reinstallation of the 64 bit version (Ubuntu 8.10) does basically the same as before, except now I get the nice bird on brown background screen, but nothing else. btw, the mouse works, but nothing to click on!

WatchingThePain
February 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Is your motherboard and cpu 64 bit?
You need the version for AMD64.

tvluther
February 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Question, will the AMD64 version work for someone that is using the new Intel i7 processor and 64bit version of Vista?

Got wick?
March 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
When my computer boots up it says the processor is AMD 64, but I don't know how to find out if the motherboard is, would that be the same thing?