PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New mobo: Can I keep my current ubuntu install?

Kung Fu Hamster
February 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new motherboard for my PC, but really don't want to go through all the trouble of a reinstall and rebuild and re-tweak of everything, since it's all now exactly the way I want it. Is there any way to keep the current ubuntu install after swapping out motherboards, or should I just resign myself to backing everything up and starting over?

zjunkie
February 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have had mixed results in swapping installed drives between computers(which is essentially the same as swapping the mobo).

The best advice I can offer is to ensure the new mobo is supported without needing any special install steps. I'm new to ubuntu, but my experience with suse and slax have shown that most of the modules needed to boot on a new mobo are already present. You'd be even better set if the new mobo used the same brand of chipset.

That aside, I would go ahead ad backup what's important and just swap the mobo.(it's always a good idea to have a backup anyway) More than likely you'll be fine and have to make some minor tweaks for the new modules. Worst case it doesn't work and you have to do a clean re-install