PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu interpid freaked out and corrupted

jitup
February 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
OK, I am a new user, but I read the pocket guide so I know a little.
I was upgrading and all the files for the program downloaded fine, but after it was half way installed, the desktop started to freak out and jump back and forth between the virtual desktops. I managed to set the desktops to 1 rows 1 columns, which worked for 10sec. after that it added 4 columns itself and started cycle through them quickly. after that a black screen appeared and a script cycled through than asked me to log in. I logged in but, I noticed my theme was all messed up and I could not change it. I thought a reboot would help, but grub could not find the kernel. I am going to do a HD wipe and reinstall, what should I do to avoid this from happening again. I was browsing the web with Firefox in a separate window, but not downloading any thing or even checking my email. Is this what caused the problem?

Thank you for your help

oldos2er
February 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
That's an unusual problem. Which version of Ubuntu are you running, and what is the make/model of your video card? Do you have compiz-fusion enabled?

jitup
February 25th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I am running 8.10, video card is a built in ati laptop card. It seems to be working fine now (after reinstall) but I have not had the chance to try and update yet (dial up at home)