PDA

View Full Version : Is it monitor or graphics card?

ellalan
February 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hi,
I would like to get some ideas from you regarding enhancing viewing experience. I do have an old CRT monitor(Packard Bell club88) 10 years old, my system specs are:
Memory:2GB
Motherboard: MCP6P-M2 socket AM2(BIOSTAR)
Graphics: Integrated nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce430
Could someone please tell me which one of these will improve my viewing experience,1.Get a new monitor 2. Get a dedicated graphics card something like GeForce 8400GS 256MB PCI-Ex16
Thank you in anticipation for your suggestions.

Skripka
February 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Yes.

The GPU produces the color...the monitor renders it. Getting a new one or the other will improve things different ways.

GPU will reduce load on the CPU, and improve lots of other things....monitor-it depends on the quality of your CRT.

handy
February 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You need to look at your monitor's specifications so as to know what its limits are.

The graphic card you mentioned in your post will most likely display a far higher resolution than your 10 year old monitor knows how to handle, apart from the limited refresh frequency range.

If you can afford it, you would be best off acquiring both an LCD monitor & your new graphics dream card.

Yeh, I know, it's only money... ;)

anaconda
February 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
what do you want to do with your machine?

I would definitely buy a New monitor..

But
A good graphics card is needed for the 3d effects and games, the flashy stuff... which I dont use..

Redache
February 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
How big is the CRT you currently have? if it's bigger than 17" then I'd say upgrade the video card. If it's 17" or less then I'd say get a 20-22" LCD just for maximum viewing pleasure. Graphics Card Wise you can pick up a Geforce 9400 or ATI HD4530 or something for cheap monies as well.

forrestcupp
February 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Get a monitor. If you have a 10 year old Packard Bell monitor, it probably has a low dot pitch, which means that even if you can up your resolution or get a more powerful video card, it still will not look that great.

The 6150 will do you ok for things that aren't 3D intensive. I've even played Neverball and used Compiz with a 6150 without too many hiccups. I'd definitely go with an updated monitor. LCD's are coming way down in price, and that will make a huge difference.

mips
February 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Buy a new monitor. After ten years that CRT is pretty much shot. They degrade in quality with time.

Your GFX card is still good enough to drive a modern monitor and play a few games on. It also has support via the latest nVidia 180.xx drivers.

Go and buy yourself a new LCD which will safe yourself desktop space & energy consumed.

mamamia88
February 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
i'd get a new monitor it couldn't hurt and at least you save electricity

Vince4Amy
February 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Isn't the maximum resolution on that thing 800x600? I think it supports 1024x768 but at only 60Hz which is incredibly low for a CRT.

ellalan
February 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Brilliant, Thank You all you guys for the suggestions and I am going to look around for a Monitor. To answer few queries:
@vince4Amy: yes 800x600 is the max and I am using at 1024x768.
@Redache: its 15" and believe its knackered as many of you suggested.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Redache
February 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Then I'd pick up a shiny 20-22" Monitor. After using a 15" a 20-22" monitor will blow your mind! :D

Kvark
February 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
There are clear measurements for the image quality of a graphics card. There are no abstract differences in for example color quality, all graphics cards are digital with perfect image quality, what differs is what their performance can keep up with. It either supports a specific resolution or it doesn't. It can either handle high resolution video playback or it can't. It has either HDMI, DVI or only analog socket. It can either display desktop effects with a smooth high Frames Per Second count or the FPS will dip down below 20 and the motions will look obviously jerky. In the options menu of 3D games you see exactly what the graphics quality is set at and when playing you see obviously jerky motions if the graphics card can't maintain high FPS at that quality.

If you want an abstract overall improvement in image quality it's all about the monitor. Glare, contrast, color quality, viewing angle, response time and all the countless things that affect quality all depend on the monitor. An LCD connected with a HDMI or at least DVI cable has superior quality to a CRT with analog cable. Make sure you read a lot of reviews to find out what image quality different models have.