PDA

View Full Version : eMail event Collector

drhiii
February 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hope this is close to the right forum???

Anyone know of a simple application that could run as a simple email collection tool, to be used at events like weddings, sports events, and the like? Where groups of people wander by a table and could either type in themselves to a system that sits with an intuitive screen that says "enter your email and whatever other info to be informed about the event", or someone who mans such a system to take names, emails, etc?

An event email collection utility? Something a bit beyond a simple Excel proggie... so less than skilled collectors could run the proggie without having to jump through minor hoops to get it to a collection screen?

Any such thing? Have poked around and not found anything like this... for event collection of information.

tx

JohnFH
February 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. You want to collect people's email addresses when they are at a wedding so they can be told about the wedding?

Maybe have a look at Mailman (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman), but that's only a stab in the dark I'm afraid. Maybe the web interface to Mailman is what you want?

Proggie? Oh please ...

drhiii
February 25th, 2009, 07:31 PM
The assumption is the laptop would not have a network connection. Standalone. So output would have to be collected and pushed later. An Excel type thing would work, but it needs to be more bullet proof than that.

What's wrong with proggie? I have used it professionally for 20 years as have others and this is the first time anyone has ever said anything negative about it.

I'm not sure what you mean. You want to collect people's email addresses when they are at a wedding so they can be told about the wedding?

Maybe have a look at Mailman (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman), but that's only a stab in the dark I'm afraid. Maybe the web interface to Mailman is what you want?

Proggie? Oh please ...