PDA

View Full Version : Helloooo Out There :)

ENTICNG
December 25th, 2005, 12:09 AM
HEY EVERYONE! I'm a total newbie....more like prenewbie lol. I feel like I'm walking into a very dark room or I'm yelling into a vast cave............anyway HELP!!! please need to know how to connect wirelessly in Ubuntu........

erikpiper
December 25th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Well hello ENTICNG! Dont feel lost! We have some of the best community help forums anywhere!

I dont use wireless myself... I suggest posting some additional info, like what wifi card you are using, so you get better and faster help.

keheikev
December 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
newbie number 2 in the clan of the cave bear welcome. I am installing ubuntu on a winxp/ win98 system but I want to direct it to a particular drive g: which is of course fat32 now. I will try to find information on that aspect but meanwhile I am going to follow what happens on your wireless adventure.
Keheikev
news//:annexcafe.com.annecafe.general.linux2linux
same software different operating system

ENTICNG
December 25th, 2005, 12:25 AM
:KS TYVM well I'm kind of in the dark about hardware (not really it's just my oldman gets hand-me-downs from a computer guru and he, my boyfriend barely knows how to email.........) Anyway I have a D-link routed thru the ethernet port........?

erikpiper
December 25th, 2005, 12:29 AM
keheikev- Tiz easy. Just do the install, and until you say "yes" to partitioning, nothing is changed (in case you get confused..)

It should be all self explanatory. Try it!

TimelessRogue
December 25th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Hey, folks ... how 'bout a big "Welcome!" to Enticer? And while you're at it, someone with a D-link wireless setup jump in here and give her a hand with set-up. I would but my setup is different: Linksys and/or DSL, depending.

ENTICNG
December 25th, 2005, 12:42 AM
TIMELESS I sure do appreciate that.....oh and by the way HAPPY WINTER HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!! :)-

erikpiper
December 25th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Whoah! I didnt notice you were new too!
Just in time for Christmas! Yay!

As I said, I wish I could help. :(

keheikev
December 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
well i get this screen that is all about partitioning as soon as I load the disk. It doesnt say what each choice will effect my xp/98 partitions and one big ntfs drive for my pictures and music....scaredy going shopping
Keheikev
the timid moderator
annexcafe.general.linux2linux

TimelessRogue
December 25th, 2005, 01:00 AM
You're quite welcome, Enticng ... and while I'm here again, let me pass on that I found the easiest method to date (and I've gone through this a number of times before trying it this way) to update and add aps is to use Automatix, a GUI installer that works famously with Beezy ... give it a shot, you won't be sorry ... and you can cover a number of different bases at the same time. Then after you download and use it, run Synaptic Package Manager to finish the job.

Head on over to this thread for more information: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66563&page=1&pp=40

Happy Year End!

ENTICNG
December 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM
MERRY MERRY!!! :grin:

ENTICNG
December 26th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Well I'm In The Middle Of Reading Ubuntu Guide..........very Interesting. Any Suggestions For A Beginner? Happy, Merry!!! :)

rizi_85
December 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hey everyone! i m new to Ubuntu but i feel that its a good forum :cool:
can anyone tell me that where can i find stuff about electronics or electrical engineering or any thing in this regard in UBUNTU?