Hello.

How can i install .bin files?

stumbleUpon
February 25th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Hello.

How can i install .bin files?

make the file executbale

chmod +x binFile

and then execute it (from the directory in which the file is present)

./binFile

However make sure you understand what the file is doing or that it is from a trustworthy source. See here

http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=326

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM
make the file executbale

chmod +x binFile

where do i type this?

stumbleUpon
February 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM
where do i type this?

In a terminal. Applications > Accessories > Terminal. Go to the directory in which the .bin file is present. And then execute the above commands.

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I do not have the Accessories option, where can i change this?

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM
or rather, how can i acces this?

ugm6hr
February 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Every version for over 2 years has an Applications -> Accessories menu.

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
i have 8.10 intrepix. i have a programs menu (danish) but there is no "assecories" there, only some others. But is there not any other way to acces other than that menu?

stumbleUpon
February 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Which variant of ubuntu...? ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu

If gnome is installed, then

Alt + F2

and then typing

gnome-terminal

should give you a terminal

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
can somebody please help, i really need to install some things.

stumbleUpon
February 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Have you not been able to get a terminal....?

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
yes, i have, but that code you gave in the begining does not work, it says "no such file or directory".

stumbleUpon
February 25th, 2009, 09:09 AM
In the terminal, you have to navigate to the directory where the .bin file is located and then use the commands i mentioned earlier

ad_267
February 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
You can also just right click on a file in the file browser and under it's properties there should be an option to make the file executable. Then you can double click on the file to run it. But depending on what kind of application it is you may need to run that .bin file from the terminal.

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
it is in this folder: "abdur-rahman" and then "Downloads", when i enter this it says: "command not found"

ambdeep
February 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Just drag the .bin file to the terminal and press enter.......SIMPLE
It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stumbleUpon
February 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Yes....you have to go to that directory using the 'cd' command in the terminal.

See here for how to navigate to a direcoctory using the terminal

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Just drag the .bin file to the terminal and press enter.......SIMPLE
It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dragged the file, but, it says that there is no program installed for this.

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Is there not some easy way to do this? It is supposed to be better than windows, but at least windows is not so complicated! You just cklick on the file and that is it! What is all this?

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
amdeep, what do i need to install to be able to just drag the file?

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
does one have to be a complete nerd or worship ubuntu to be able to install a program? who has patience for this? it just gets more and more complicated.

When i type "cd" in the terminal it says that i dont have permission.

It just gets more and more comlicated, how is a simple person suppose to be able to figger this?

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
i can get it to go to the folder, but it does not want to run the file, it says that you do not have a program installed for this, where can i find this program, can somebody please tell me?

infinitejones
February 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Dude. Chill out. Ubuntu is different from Windows, and one of the things you'll find using these forums is that you need to relax, be polite, explain your problem fully, and give people time to reply to you. Nobody here is paid, nobody is obliged to help you, and there are a lot of other posts where the people with problems are asking sensible questions and doing it properly.

Now, onto your problem. Tell us the exact name of the .bin file you've downloaded, and I'll tell you what to type in order to run it.

I might not be able to respond to you **immediately** so please bear with me...

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Dude. Chill out. Ubuntu is different from Windows, and one of the things you'll find using these forums is that you need to relax, be polite, explain your problem fully, and give people time to reply to you. Nobody here is paid, nobody is obliged to help you, and there are a lot of other posts where the people with problems are asking sensible questions and doing it properly.

Now, onto your problem. Tell us the exact name of the .bin file you've downloaded, and I'll tell you what to type in order to run it.

I might not be able to respond to you **immediately** so please bear with me...

Thanks man, i know and it was not to be rude, i just got anoyed over my computer. it is java that i try to install the file is called: jre-6u12-linux-i586 (.bin).

infinitejones
February 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
OK. Here is what you need to do. I assume from your previous posts you've opened up a terminal and used the cd command to get into the directory where the .bin file is saved. You can check by typing 'ls' (that's LS, but in small letters) - if jre-6u12-linux-i586.bin appears, you're in the right place.

Anyway - first type this:

chmod +x jre-6u12-linux-i586.bin

This tells Ubuntu that you want to execute the file. (By the way, there's a big difference between Windows and Ubuntu/Linux - Windows assumes that any .exe file that you might have downloaded from somewhere can be executed. Ubuntu requires you to explicitly tell it that you want to executed it. I'll leave you to work out which one's safer!)

Anyway, if nothing happens (other than the command prompt appearing again), it's all worked, so type

./jre-6u12-linux-i586.bin

That actually installs what you've just downloaded.

However, this brings me to a different point - do you have a specific reason for installing this? It looks like you're installing a java runtime, and there's a different (Ubuntu specific) way of installing stuff like this, which is different from the Windows "download-a-file-and-install-it" routine that we've gone through here. The "Ubuntu specific" way is likely to be more appropriate and cause you fewer problems in future than doing it this way.

Are you familiar with something called Synaptic?

linux_tech
February 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks man, i know and it was not to be rude, i just got anoyed over my computer. it is java that i try to install the file is called: jre-6u12-linux-i586 (.bin).

you may also try

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

or if you want to use synaptic-

System>Administration>synaptic package manager
search for sun-java6-jre then check box and mark for installation
then click apply

During the java install I think you will need to press your enter and tab
keys a couple times to complete the install

Abdel-Rahman
February 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
you may also try

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

or if you want to use synaptic-

System>Administration>synaptic package manager
search for sun-java6-jre then check box and mark for installation
then click apply

During the java install I think you will need to press your enter and tab
keys a couple times to complete the install

Thank you, it worked.

thanks infinitejones too for you help

zeroemissions
February 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
sorry missed the third page :)

ad_267
February 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Looks like we made that a bit more difficult than it had to be. This is worth a read, it explains pretty much everything you need to know about installing software in Ubuntu: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware