PDA

View Full Version : A generic ram question.

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I figured I'd put this here sense it doesn't directly relate to Ubuntu really.

I want to update my Ram on this labtop (when funds become available..unless someone wants to donate money or actual stuff :p) and it has its two slots filled with 512 DDR2-SDRAM. Would it be safe to use two 1GB one for each slot? This is a Dell Latitude D530. I would like to get my ram to 2GB so i can effectively VM Vista/XP and run my adobe suite on it for school. (And for gaming I'm not gonna lie :p)

MikeTheC
February 25th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Probably. However, you might want to check at Crucial or Kingston's web sites, as they have RAM compatibility reference lists. Also, shop around for RAM. It's extremely easy to get bilked for the stuff, and equally extremely easy to avoid that.

I usually buy from CompUSA (now that they're owned by the same company that owns TigerDirect), but there may be other economical sources, too.

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thought about using Newegg

*Checks Kingston's site*
Nice i can ugrade using 2GB pieces for a total of 4GB of ram. Nice :)

*Thanks MikeTheC*

Orlsend
February 25th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I really recomend newegg I just bought my ASUS there and I bought ram from theirs before... A 512 MB ram... I remember it was cheap and fast.

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I really recomend newegg I just bought my ASUS there and I bought ram from theirs before... A 512 MB ram... I remember it was cheap and fast.

Yeap found the 2GB part on Newegg 3 dollars cheaper then Kingston's Promo price :p ($20 ea at Newegg :) ) Now if i only had $40 :/

swoll1980
February 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
go to support.dell.com click support, enter your service tag, then click on Service Manual. This will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about it. Might want to update your bios while your there too.

mips
February 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
*Checks Kingston's site*

Kingstons site is cool as it tells you all the possible configurations you could do. I'm sure you could buy 1x 2GB module now and another one later as funds permit. You generally don't have to populate both the mem slots at once.

jimi_hendrix
February 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
very random generic ram question:

can a computer run without any ram?

billgoldberg
February 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I figured I'd put this here sense it doesn't directly relate to Ubuntu really.

I want to update my Ram on this labtop (when funds become available..unless someone wants to donate money or actual stuff :p) and it has its two slots filled with 512 DDR2-SDRAM. Would it be safe to use two 1GB one for each slot? This is a Dell Latitude D530. I would like to get my ram to 2GB so i can effectively VM Vista/XP and run my adobe suite on it for school. (And for gaming I'm not gonna lie :p)

Sure.

But remember not all ram works on all computers.

I bought 2 1gb ram modules and had to return them to the shop because they didn't work.

Then I gave my two old 512mb ram modules to a friend who only had 2 256mb modules and those didn't work in his pc also.

billgoldberg
February 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM

can a computer run without any ram?

No.

Remove them from your pc and find out for yourself.

Redache
February 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM

can a computer run without any ram? RAM is like the CPU's Notepad, where it can store things for a short period, until it can either type it up in a nice spreadsheet or bin it when it's done.

A CPU has Cache built into it which these days is about 2-6Mb in your bog standard Processors, which is a fast version of System Ram. The CPU uses this Cache to store Pointers towards the parts of RAM that it accesses frequently (Say the first 64k and the last 128k) and this in turn increases the speed that it can access these points (as it doesn't have to search through the whole of the RAM to find one Memory Address).

So basically both are linked to work together, it's why integrating the Memory Controller into the CPU is a necessary step in the evolution of Processors.

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Kingstons site is cool as it tells you all the possible configurations you could do. I'm sure you could buy 1x 2GB module now and another one later as funds permit. You generally don't have to populate both the mem slots at once.

True, getting 1 2GB now would boost my ram to 2.5 GB with a 512 still in the other slot.

Skripka
February 25th, 2009, 04:27 PM
True, getting 1 2GB now would boost my ram to 2.5 GB with a 512 still in the other slot.

Check to make sure what your system can handle. I've seen some laptop systems that max out at 2GB...or that only take a 1GB DIMM as the largest size chip.

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Check to make sure what your system can handle. I've seen some laptop systems that max out at 2GB...or that only take a 1GB DIMM as the largest size chip.

Actually yes my system can support up to 4GB. The ram I'm looking at is "System Specific"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134624&Tpk=KTD-INSP6000B%2f2G - Neweggs Display of it.

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellLatitudeD530.html comfirms that my system can support 4GB.

Note: Again I checked Kingston.com in regards to what memory my system can use. The newegg link is EXACTLY the same thing as suggested by Kingston.

Bart_D
February 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
...you might want to check at Crucial..'s web site...

+1

www.crucial.com is a great site for RAM questions

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
hmm...well when i upgrade to the full 4GB I will have to re-install Ubuntu with the 64Bit version if I want my system to use the full 4GB but meh. A price I'm willing to pay i suppose.

Skripka
February 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Actually yes my system can support up to 4GB. The ram I'm looking at is "System Specific"

Just making sure you did your homework ;)

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Just making sure you did your homework ;)

Psh homework is overrated :p