PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading an .iso image with additional packages

illumin8
February 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I work for a large charitable organization, and we receive a considerable amount of computer donations.
I was hired on because they want to begin refurbishing and shipping out all of the resales with a Linux distribution. There are a number of reasons for this, not the least of which is that there are considerably fewer potential licensing issues that arise with Linux. The over all philosophy matches ours more closely as well.
I am trying to stream line my install process to include some packages that must be added later, and rely on internet access. We have non-existent IT guys, so I am stuck with one connection for now, until I can learn more about IP tables.I want this to go over well, and since we will not be offering extensive support, I want the OS fully operational..including packages and dependencies that allow for what the average computer user will use it for out of the box.
My question is, where would I go for documentation on adding packages to an install image? Is it possible to set up a machine and then use that system point as an install image?

Any help or thoughts in this direction, or an outside the box solution are appreciated.

snova
February 25th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I don't know about an installation image, but Remastersys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remastersys) might be useful (for customizing the Live CD).

cariboo
February 25th, 2009, 04:35 AM
snova beat me to it.

Jim

illumin8
February 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
That is perfect.
Thanks so much.