PDA

View Full Version : Trying to develop a business model for user submitted content for School Contest

dracule
February 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I honestly dont know where to go with this idea so I thought I would just bounce it off of the very internet savvy people at Ubuntu forums. :)

Anyways my school is having this contest to create a business. Naturally I wanted to do a Web 2.0 business so my group came up with the idea of like Wiki books on steroids. Where it is a user generated text book specifically for language learning, but with it totally revamped to push the idea of user interaction between people. Wikibooks doesnt cut it because you cant communicate with others, but forums dont do it because it is incredibly disorganized. so my group has come up with some really dynamite ideas that hell if i had the time I would actually make the site because it sounds ******* awesome.

Anyways so the basic concept is that we will get investors to front some cash to pay people to write the first like 5 chapters of 4 languages or something just to get a base down. Then as the site took off people could go in add new chapters or sections and edit old ones and it would be self sustaining.

But i dont know a good business model for it. I have a few ideas:

First, the site can have these things, but for now lets just say they are called Tokens. All users start up with a set number of Tokens. Answering a question will gain you Tokens, asking a question will subtract Tokens from your account. If you put in a request that also subtract Tokens. If a user gets impatient, he can buy Tokens instead of answering questions to refill his “Token Account”.

Users can be on tiers. Lets just call the tiers 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Users just starting out are on tier 1, and as they edit sections, write new sections and help others, they gain points. Eventually they will get enough points to move up a tier. One benefit of being higher up is that your votes will be worth more in the request voting thing (if a tier 1's vote is worth 1, then a tier 2's will be worth 1.2, and 3's will be worth 1.4 etc.) Also we will have to think of other advantages of increasing in tiers. The point is that if a user doesnt want to answer questions and write sections, that user can buy his way up to the next tier. (Also at the end of each month, users get demoted one tier, so each month that user will have to pay).The plan is that the service will be free and equally accessible to everyone rich and poor. This business model basically says that if you are committed to the site, you have more privileges on the site. Users submitting sections and answering questions show that they are serious about contributing. Users buying their way up show that they are serious about using the site. If you want the benefits of a higher but dont have money, you can simply answer questions and contribute. So everybody wins, except those people that dont want to contribute to the site.

Or we could just put ads on the site. Or we could make it where only tier 1 people can see ads.

I just dont know how practical it is in real life. I was hoping someone here that had some experience or something could comment.

dracule
February 25th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I dont mean to bump unneccassarily but this is just for a school project and I honestly know NO ONE that can even comment on the nature of this, so ANY help would be appreciated (you can just say that the whole thing is stupid)

Grant A.
February 25th, 2009, 05:27 AM
In this recession, I think that the best business model is sitting on the streets asking for change.

The best business model would be to create a Linux or OpenSolaris derivative that is:

Intuitive
Free (As in Freedom)
Anti-DRM
Innovative
User-Friendly
Optimized for Server and Desktop use

and sell it for the cheap price of $50/box.

Specially though, the best market for Linux or Solaris is in corporate server use, so a Linux/Solaris distribution geared towards an innovative, mature, and stable server platform may be very popular among rich businesses, or enthusiasts.

staf0048
February 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I think your ad idea is a better real life appeal. Companies like Rosetta stone, Universities, Publishers, etc, might be willing to fork up some cash for click space.

As for the token idea, I see where you're going with it, but I don't understand what the user gets out of it. For example, people come to Ubuntu forums for similar purposes, ask questions, answer questions, and also socialize. But if it wasn't free, I doubt there'd be much use. What I mean is, if I'm new to the subject I'm going to have questions - but I wouldn't want to pay for asking the question. So I think you'd have a hard time getting people started.

What you could do is approach a company like Rossetta to see if they would be willing to donate some server space to your cause - but that's really a way to make money.

dracule
February 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I think your ad idea is a better real life appeal. Companies like Rosetta stone, Universities, Publishers, etc, might be willing to fork up some cash for click space.

As for the token idea, I see where you're going with it, but I don't understand what the user gets out of it. For example, people come to Ubuntu forums for similar purposes, ask questions, answer questions, and also socialize. But if it wasn't free, I doubt there'd be much use. What I mean is, if I'm new to the subject I'm going to have questions - but I wouldn't want to pay for asking the question. So I think you'd have a hard time getting people started.

What you could do is approach a company like Rossetta to see if they would be willing to donate some server space to your cause - but that's really a way to make money.

Yeah I get your point with the question asking thing. I was just thinking like you wouldn't HAVE to pay money since to ask a new question if you are out of tokens you could answer other peoples questions and get tokens that way. like you would start out with plenty of tokens so you can ask questions. (like on yahoo answers you start out with like 50 points, and asking a question is like 5 points, and answering a question can get you up to 3 points). And if you are too lazy to answer questions, you can buy tokens.

I know that Rosetta Stone would want to advertise, but what I dont know is if they would want to go as far as hosting our site.

I have no idea how much money can be made though that is the thing. I have no clue the numbers involved since i couldnt imagine rosetta stone spending like a quarter of a million dollars for advertising on our site.

like basic operating cost and salaries would be like $250k at least so i need to find a way to overcome that.

dracule
February 25th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Just a question: are there any percentages on the internet of like how many people buy flicker pro accounts or anything like that?