PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GNOME windows' topbars' graphics glitch out

Syzothermy
February 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
This might be a common error, and if so, sorry D=

Whenever I have any open (non-maximized, it seems) window, the topbar's (the one with the minimize, maximize, and close buttons) graphics glitch out and have no color or some odd colors.

I got a screenshots as examples:
(links, for those with a slow connection; each 1280x800 185kb)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5168/before.png
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1595/after.png

any fix? thanks =)

ccheath
February 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
i just got a tech support call with a similar kind of bug.

When my friend opens up firefox the gnome panels disappear and the top window panel for firefox disappears like in your picture (except she's full screen)

these may be related...

I'm going to go and check it out in person in a couple days.

Currently her work-around is to alt+f4 to exit firefox

(btw: what is the keyboard shortcut to minimize, maximize, and resize a window? that may help her out a bit too)

also: afaik she has been doing updates as they come down the line

~chris

Hobgoblin
February 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Happens to me as well but only on some themes.

My solution is.

Go into System > Preferences > Appearance

In the Theme tab click customise.

Under the window border tab, select glossy.

Hobgoblin
February 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM
When my friend opens up firefox the gnome panels disappear and the top window panel for firefox disappears like in your picture (except she's full screen)

Press F11 to come out of full screen in Firefox. ;)

ccheath
February 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Press F11 to come out of full screen in Firefox. ;)

It's not firefox full-screen ... just the top gnome window title bar disappears (along with the top and bottom standard gnome panels)

once she alt+f4's to close firefox the gnome panels re-appear... i'll post back here with more detail of her situation when i get on-site in a few days

~chris

Syzothermy
February 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM

these may be related...

I'm going to go and check it out in person in a couple days.

Currently her work-around is to alt+f4 to exit firefox

(btw: what is the keyboard shortcut to minimize, maximize, and resize a window? that may help her out a bit too)

also: afaik she has been doing updates as they come down the line

~chris

I guess, afaik, mine's a little different. I can just move my mouse around more and it'll come back.

Also, I doesn't necessarily have to move my mouse to those buttons... I forgot to mention that. Sometimes they'll just randomly disappear.

Syzothermy
February 24th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Happens to me as well but only on some themes.

My solution is.

Go into System > Preferences > Appearance

In the Theme tab click customise.

Under the window border tab, select glossy.

thanks, I'll try it later and see what happens (on my Windows box at the moment)

EDIT: this seems to work; It doesn't glitch out and looks pretty much the same as Human, although I couldn't get the color to be the same. I just changed it to a darker blue, and i'll find a wallpaper that goes with it :p

thanks

gh0stp0p
February 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM

these may be related...

I've just turned my computer on and gotten this exact same problem. It's never happened to me before. However, there was a firefox update that I installed yesterday through the ubuntu update manager. Could this have anything to do with it?

gh0stp0p
February 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
ccheath: I don't know if your friend is still having problems with their firefox but if they are you should check out this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=985965

Seems like it is an update problem. I solved mine by hitting F11 until I could see the gnome panels again, then autohiding the panels and resizing the firefox window. After that I unchecked autohide, hit maximise on the firefox window and it seemed to recognise the panel boundaries again.
Haven't tried restarting yet but it appears fixed for now.

ccheath
February 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
thanks gh0stp0p that seems to have been the problem

however, the problem went away on its own (maybe via and update)

again thanks for the link

ccheath: I don't know if your friend is still having problems with their firefox but if they are you should check out this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=985965

Seems like it is an update problem. I solved mine by hitting F11 until I could see the gnome panels again, then autohiding the panels and resizing the firefox window. After that I unchecked autohide, hit maximise on the firefox window and it seemed to recognise the panel boundaries again.
Haven't tried restarting yet but it appears fixed for now.