PDA

View Full Version : Prototype ARM netbooks

Rokurosv
February 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
http://osnews.com/story/21031/ARM_Shows_Prototype_Netbooks

DO WANT.
They look so sleek, thin and they're cheap. And apparently they're gonna run Jaunty. They didn't talk about the specs of the netbooks but it appears that it can run HD content so I'm guessing is not that bad. Thoughts?

smartboyathome
February 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have been waiting for this. If you could combine this with the EeePC 1000 (not H), think of how long it would run! But as it is, as long as it offers a good size SSD drive, I may just may put the money I've been saving for the Eee to this instead. :)

mips
February 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Wonder how they did Flash support for ARM?

smartboyathome
February 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Wonder how they did Flash support for ARM?

Possibly they have a deal with Adobe. Would make sense. :)

Also, That third laptop looks like a modified Sony netbook.

mips
February 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Just had an idea, should be able to run all the Open Pandora (also ARM arch) emulators one one of these. All you will need is a usb gamepad :)

Edit: Maybe not, the Open Pandora has some extra bits & pieces.

BGFG
February 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Seems tech is in one of those 'Sprint' phases...Android over at Asus...

How does passive cooling work though ?

mips
February 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM
How does passive cooling work though ?

The chips really don't use much power and they don't give of a lot of heat. At most you will have a small heatsink and thats it.

issih
February 24th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Interesting...If they actually pull off 8+ hours of battery life, then I'll definitely be interested.

I can't help but think the little tiny desktop pc devices have a future as mythtv frontends to tuck behind tvs for not too much money.

Well my future anyway :)

Onyros
February 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Wonder how they did Flash support for ARM?Well, the N800/N810 has Flash OOTB, and it works adequately, so I'd expect these to run it pretty well.

Skripka
February 25th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm worried about the part where they said the machines were passively cooled...laptops already get hot....small and thin and passive cooling is a potetialliy dangerous combination.

That being said-it'd need some Arch ARM...

phrostbyte
February 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
The only thing I don't like is the release date. :p

mysticrider92
February 25th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'm worried about the part where they said the machines were passively cooled...laptops already get hot....small and thin and passive cooling is a potetialliy dangerous combination.

Thats more or less dropping a PSP or mobile phone processor in a laptop. The laptop version would be a little faster and hotter, but there is more room for a larger heat sink. I don't think heat will be a problem, it definitely won't get as hot as some larger laptops (Macbook Pro for example).

This is one of the first netbooks I am actually quite interested in. Thin, light, and it doesn't look like a kid's fake laptop. I'm definitely going to look into this once it comes out. Then I'll have to start working on a hard slip case for it so the netbook doesn't crack in half. :lol: