PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [wubi] How can I launch Ubuntu from Win?

chubble10
February 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
:!: How can you disable the boot menu when Windows starts up, and only launch Ubuntu through Windows?

P.S. I want to use Wubi, or can I use the Live CD Install, but still have no boot menu appear?

Phil :!:

avtolle
February 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
If you do a Wubi install, you will get a boot screen from the Windows side allowing you to select either Windows or Ubuntu (w/Windows as a default). It is my understanding that you may reverse these, but as to eliminating the appearance of Windows as an option, I don't know how you would do this. I'm sure there may be a way, but I don't know what it is (not really understanding why you want to do this).

chubble10
March 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
If you do a Wubi install, you will get a boot screen from the Windows side allowing you to select either Windows or Ubuntu (w/Windows as a default). It is my understanding that you may reverse these, but as to eliminating the appearance of Windows as an option, I don't know how you would do this. I'm sure there may be a way, but I don't know what it is (not really understanding why you want to do this).

I want to be able to double-click on an icon on my Windows desktop and it will launch Ubuntu

thymox
March 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
You could try loadlin or even having a play around with grub4dos. Both of these can boot a Linux system from within Windows, but if the system is a WUBI-based one, you may have to fiddle a bit to get the right options.

Good luck. :)