PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop theme does not load at startup

dspisak
February 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I was trying to have Firefox 3.0.6 recognize Adobe Reader as a plugin. I was unsuccessful. While trying other PDF related programs available in Synaptic I may have inadvertantly deleted a file that affects the desktop. It was late at night and I may have selected "remove completely" instead of "remove" and deleted a configuration file. Here is the problem.

After I login the standard gnome theme appears. When I go to "Appearences" to select the Human theme the desktop suddenly changes to the Human theme. What do I have to do to have the Human theme start or install automatically? Is there a file I have to re-install? TIA.

I am running ubuntu 8.10-amd64.

dspisak
February 28th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Several other folks have asked for help with a similar problem. Is there anyone who can help us? Thank you.

hictio
February 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM
A long shot, but...
Turn it on, let it boot, and login.
Select the theme you want, and set it up like you want it.

Close everything and anything, and goto:

System > Preferences > Sessions > Options

Click on

"Remember Curretly Runing Application"

dspisak
March 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
Hictio, thanks for the tip. In the meantime I also tried to load Open Office 3.0. However, Archive Manager always reported that the tar.gz file was corrupted. I reloaded OO2.4 and now my Human theme starts automatically.

Lesson learned: be very careful when you delete a program or a file, a critical file included in a package also may be deleted with unintended consequences.

syed.rakib.al.hasan
January 28th, 2011, 12:35 AM
this post seems helpful.

mitch wrote on 2011-01-08:

I had this same issue on my i7 box (no SSD though) in both Ubuntu 10.10 and Linux Mint 10. I was able to fix the issue by following the solution posted here <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/649809> post #68 which adds a short delay to the daemon loading on startup.

Basically it involves editing /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-settings-daemon.desktop and changing line 4 to:

Exec= bash -c "sleep 2; /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon"

Hope this helps.

reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/574296