PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Query USB hard disk Live install

HarshReality
February 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
OK, I rebuilt a live CD with all the current bells and whistles (codecs etc.) and figured this would be a perfect drive-by OS. Only thing missing is space.. in rolls WD Passport 500G USB 2.0 drive 'woohoo'.

Issue. Cant create USB install with the drive as its reading as a HDD even though its on the USB.

So anybody havea solution for how I could install the live CD onto a USB hard disk?

* No its powered via USB so no external power.

cariboo
February 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM
When you boot from your LiveCD does te drive show up in System-->Administration-->Partition Editor?

It will show as a hard drive even if it is connected via usb the device label should be something like

/dev/sdb1

I would also suggest getting a powered usb hub and plug the power cable into that instead of the computer.

Jim

HarshReality
February 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
When you boot from your LiveCD does te drive show up in System-->Administration-->Partition Editor?

It will show as a hard drive even if it is connected via usb the device label should be something like

/dev/sdb1

I would also suggest getting a powered usb hub and plug the power cable into that instead of the computer.

Jim

Yep shows as /dev/sde under /media/disk

HarshReality
February 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Under your suggestion I tried alternate ports on the machine as well as a powered hub and the same result.. the system mounts it but it just wont see it as a 'USB' drive.

id:
disk
description: SCSI Disk
product: 5000BEV External
vendor: WD
physical id:
bus info:
scsi@7:0.0.0
logical name:
/dev/sde
version: 1.75
serial: WD-WXNX08SWC317
size: 465GiB (500GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration:
ansiversion = 4
signature = 4ad9c6f3

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1731

HarshReality
February 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Is OK, I got it anyway (great thing about linux.. you bang on it enough and it works out 99% of the time!).

I used an online tutorial and created a custom ISO with Skype, codecs, unrar etc. and all updates to the 23rd.

Used this tutorial:
http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-software/a-better-way-to-create-a-customized-ubuntu-live-usb-drive

So, Ive shaved a gig off the top (MY ISO was only 811M) created a 4G casper-rw file and formatted the rest as fat32 (Yea I know the filesize limit but Im not backing up DVD ISOs.

So now my end result is a current portable ISO on a pocket drive that actually holds enough space to be able to move something from a dead system if I need to WITHOUT (and this was the big one for me) having to lug a power pack around.