PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob Needs help?

andrewa1
February 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hello everyone. Well im new to linux and im trying to customize my desktop. Iv'e managed to do quiet a few things.

I need help, i want to try and change my Taskbar that has Applications-places + system on it and i want to try and make it more rounded and has a better look to it, in the 2 pictures below, the 1st one is my desktop and taskbar now and 2nd picture is how i want my taskbar to look like, cheers for the help.

andrewa1
February 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
So nobody???

marco123
February 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
You could try installing different themes from somewhere like gnome look: http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=high&page=0&xcontentmode=100

With most themes you just drag them into the Appearance window, or choose "Install" and navigate to the file and select it.

You can also change the panel background by right clicking on each panel and selecting "Properties" then selecting the "Background" tab selecting Background image and selecting a file.

I'll attach my panel background for you to try it with. It's a silver transparent one.

Cheers, Marco.

Therion
February 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
in the 2 pictures below, the 1st one is my desktop and taskbar now and 2nd picture is how i want my taskbar to look like, cheers for the help.
What you're seeing in the second pic is the theme someone has applied to their default install. Now, WHICH theme it is I don't know. I don't recognize it.

It sorta looks like Vista Ultimate theme: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/VistaUltimate?content=796650

But it's not. You'll just have to track down the name of theme or find it yourself unless someone comes along who know what it is and where to find it. Sort of Snipe Hunt sorta thing.

andrewa1
February 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
That was so simple, can't believe i didn't know that. Thanks mate. Works great.

hellsgator
February 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Not that difficult.

* remove AWN. Turn it off or uninstall it in synaptic.
* right click on top panel, add new panel.
* right click on new panel, change properties.
* right click on new panel, add to panel.
* download gtk+ themes or install them from synaptic.
* preferences, appearance, change theme.

that should do the trick. ;)

andrewa1
February 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
thanks all.