PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New HDD partitions guide

Kaneda187
February 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
So I got a warning when I turned on my lappy that a HDD failure is imminent:o ... I wanted to upgrade anyways so maybe its a blessing in disguise ya know.

Anyways I'm looking for some advice on how to set up my new HDD partitions, I want to install Vista/XP for media center to videos and stuff through my xbox360. And Ubuntu 8.10

What I really want to do with this HDD though is have my OS's on one part and then have a storage folder like a home folder where all my music pics movies and everything will be accessible from what ever OS I boot. just wondering what the best way to go about this is as my order for the HDD has been placed and it should arrive in a few days and i just wanna know my plan of attack straight away. Its a 320GB HDD any advice would be great thanks!

mikewhatever
February 25th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Take a look at this guide->http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning.

Helios1276
February 28th, 2009, 11:59 PM
A) Have a separate /home partition that would comprise the majority of your docs/musc etc and make changing / upgrading distros less of a hassle.

or

B) A large ntfs partition just for the above but readable from both windows and linux.

C) bring over biscuits and I'll give ya c ;)