PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install fails!

msohn88
February 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hi, I just downloaded iso file for latest ubuntu and tried to install on my thinkpad t42

First of, DHCP server won't work, so I decide to put that later.

Second of all, what are the choices for software selection?

At the end...

Unable to boot - please use a karnel appropriate for your CPU.

HELP!

pmlxuser
February 24th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I think you downloaded a wrong *.iso image. (the normal *.iso image for intelbased 32 bit is something like *i36*.iso )
or you haven't given us very detailed info to provide you with assistance.

msohn88
February 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I think you downloaded a wrong *.iso image. (the normal *.iso image for intelbased 32 bit is something like *i36*.iso )
or you haven't given us very detailed info to provide you with assistance.

Which iso I was supposed to get?(I mean, can I get to know which iso I downloadoed even though I deleted my windows files?)

Could you give me a link, please?

DHCP is not working, so I ended up not putting anything else.

balaknair
February 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Getting the correct ISO image
Unless you're trying to set up the laptop as a server, the Desktop version is what you need. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and download the default version(Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex 32-bit version). Just select a location near you and click the 'Download' button. AFAIK, the T42 uses a Pentium M processor, with 32-bit architecture. That ought to work for your laptop.

To know which image you downloaded, while logged into Windows, load the CD(to which you have burnt the file image), open My Computer, and check the name that appears in the CD drive. You should get something like Ubuntu 8.10 i386

DHCP Server
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I assume you're trying to say Ubuntu is not connecting to the net. More information would be needed for anyone to be able to help you, but I think we can leave that for later, till after you've got an Ubuntu CD ready to boot.

Software selection
Most software you would need is already available on the CD(like a browser, office suite, instant messenger, graphics editor, media player etc). Additionally you can install numerous other apps after installing Ubuntu, via the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Applications menu.