PDA

View Full Version : What's your greatest achievement in programming/game design?

some_random_noob
February 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Story sharing time...

konqueror7
February 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
i think everybodies achievement is when they first went to run their first program...i was in my programming class using C, with the infamous 'Hello World' example...from there, everything shifted, i am now a certified developer (so to speak)!

handy
February 24th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I made a DOpus inspired (though not a clone) directory utility called GrOpus ('cause my name is Greg), using Cando 3.0, which was a wonderful object oriented programming language that died with Commodore unfortunately.

GrOpus, had a text editor which I wrote & used AmigaOS commands plus called other tools & app's written by other people. GrOpus was never meant to be a project for other people, it was my way of teaching myself CanDo.

If the internet had of been available in those days then GrOpus & its source would have been freely available & perhaps it would have become far more than I can imagine now. As it is I can barely remember it... :lolflag:

doorknob60
February 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Made some games in Game Maker when I was in Middle School :-P Also when I was like 10 I did really complex batch files and even a simple game in Quick Basic. My game maker games can still be found here if anyone's curious :P http://gmc.yoyogames.com/?showtopic=234946 One of them I even managed to get it uploaded to download.com :D My Quick Basic game can be found here, it works in dosbox http://geocities.com/doorknob60_2/storage/downloads/dosgames/Hi-lo.zip

It's a game where one person chooses a number between 1 and 1000, and the other person tries to guess, and it says if it's too high or too low. Very simple, but it works. Lost the source though lol....a long time ago.

I'm suprised I still have it, I have so much random crap uploaded to my crappy free hosts from when I was younger :-P

immerohnegott
February 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Thus far...a rather janky implementation of GlobalThermoNuclearWar from the movie War Games written in Java.

It was a bit of an accomplishment for me just due to the fact that the instructor for the class taught us precious little about the language (meaning I had to dig a BUNCH of stuff up on my own).

In the end, I couldn't believe I got the damned thing to even run, let alone play the bloody game.

*sigh*

and now I'm stuck in a VB class, rotting my brain....

DJMatty
February 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I had lots of bits and pieces on the commodore 64 and amiga, scrolling starfields, scrolling messages, vector graphics, stuff that I used for demos like you used to get in those days.

I remember being particularly pleased about getting 16 hardware sprites to display on the C64 when it only had 8, basically messing around with them depending on where the vsync was. All this was done in machine code, ah, good old 6510 and 68000 lol

More recent stuff is trying to get a parser for a text based MUD going...

Akkifokkusu
February 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Made a pretty simple but fun Tic-Tac-Toe game in VB with my dad when I was like 9 or 10. That's kinda what started it all for me, but I think my best moment was when I won my school (6-12 grades) science fair for a Naruto Pong game written in C++. I was in 8th grade.

Recently, my achievement has been making a Excel spreadsheet that uses some VB script (cause it's the first thing I've gotten paid for), and now that has just lead me to getting a bigger assignment to recode it all as an application with databse access.

beercz
February 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I've not written any games (except for 1), but I have written bits of software.

<time for a shameless plug>
My work is showcased on my website. (http://lidd.net)
</time for a shameless plug>

Trail
February 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
More recent stuff is trying to get a parser for a text based MUD going...

Check flex (lectical analyser) and bison (syntactical analyser) if you're using C or C++.

As for me, About 6-7 years ago, I was involved in the modding scene for a game Jagged Alliance 2 (the mod i was involved in is Urban Chaos, by the way, and it rules).

The most hacky stuff I did was straight modifying of the executable using Hackman and W32Dasm. And I didn't even know assembly or C at the time. The goal was to change some stuff in the in-game laptop (from the simpler stuff of changing function parameters to change text colors, to changing layouts, disabling stuff etc). Then I was 16-17 years old, self taught. The worst part was trying to inject code in the executable without invalidating all the jumps, so I had small spaces in the exe between procedure calls (the compiler injected a few no-ops after a return, to align the start of procedures to a round number).

I had met at the time a russian gamehacker (two actually) who was just insane. He had done some quite unbelievable feats with just reverse-engineering... Then, anyway, after a few years the whole source code for the game was released. But still it was fun.

I guess with my current, proper knowledge of how it all works (instead of working with guesses), familiarity with the languages and all that (and I might actually get a debugger working now :D), I can do much more than I had done. But given the circumstances, I think this mod is the thing I am most 'proud' of. And certainly the most fun and rewarding.