PDA

View Full Version : I think I might move up to Canada

NintendoTogepi
February 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM
There are too many people here! And I don't even live in a big city!

Yukon seems like a nice place. Only 31,000 people in the whole terrority...it's three times the size of my state but with less than a third of the population of my town.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Whitehorse_Yukon.JPG

Whitehorse seems nice. It has 20,000 people.

agim
February 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I live in nyc and love it. If the yukon does it for you, enjoy.

kaldor
February 24th, 2009, 06:33 AM
St.John's, Newfoundland all the way!

mips
February 24th, 2009, 10:02 AM
:eek: that looks cold.

NintendoTogepi
February 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
:eek: that looks cold.

It's 10 degrees outside now, I'm fine with the cold ;)

handy
February 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM
2,500 people in the wider area where I live.

It is just about right for me.

Giant Speck
February 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
You could come to Alaska! It's very nice!

I wouldn't recommend living in Anchorage, though, if you prefer smaller towns. I've heard Wasilla and Eagle River are nice, though!

sharathpaps
February 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
@Giant Speck

Do you think Alaska immigration will allow an Indian doctor permanent residency in the country? Also, Will I be able to make a living there? :p

notwen
February 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I wouldn't recommend living in Anchorage, though, if you prefer smaller towns. I've heard Wasilla and Eagle River are nice, though!

Alcan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcan_Border,_Alaska) FTW for smaller towns! My fiance lived here for a couple of years growing up, her dad was a customs agent at the border.

Onyros
February 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
You guys are making me jealous... And I don't even live in that big of a city. Well, it's the biggest in this country but that doesn't say much.

Still, I HATE (with true passion) living in the city.

I'd love something like Alaska, Yukon, whatever.

I lived in a small village with about 300 people for some time, and that was bliss.

Maheriano
February 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
St.John's, Newfoundland all the way!

I'm from Mount Pearl!

MikeTheC
February 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
MikeTheC ---> ≠ <--- Cold Weather Compatible

After moving to Florida, it took me about 5 years to get used to it being "normal" to be healthy at Christmas. Also, up north, my bones and joints ached if I had to be out in it for any length of time. And that was at ages < 9 1/2 !!!

BazookaAce
February 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm from Bergen (Norway) and it's about right. Population of 250.000. But, i'm moving to the French Riviera (Cannes) next year. Need som sunshine and heat! Well.. It's not THAT cold here in Bergen, but i'm tired of the weather here. Mild and rainy! About 200 days with rain per year.

Bergen:

http://harkestad.org/images/n865180297_462071_3186.jpg

French Riviera (Yes please)

http://www.hotelspreference.com/_cache/region/regions/21/92fb81ed37bfee88625dbeaec469edb1jpg/NCxNC-Mode~ratio-BG~-Root~-ScaleUp~1.png

Dragonbite
February 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I like not being in the city, but not being too far away from everything.

If I wanted to "get away" I would probably look in Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. My grandmother-in-law was in upper New Hampshire and it was nice to get away for a while. May be a little too rural for me for full-time living, but is nice to visit.

On the plus side, a medium-sized city was about an hour drive away (maybe 1.5 hours) and the bigger cities were just another 1-2 hours further.

HermanAB
February 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hmm, it is nice in Canada. Today, it is all of -9 Celsius and fresh powder snow is coming down in Calgary, so I can slide my Jeep in 4WD around town - great fun.

Cheers,

Herman

sanderella
February 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Lol, you'll become one of God's Frozen People. :KS

RiceMonster
February 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
There are too many people here! And I don't even live in a big city!

Yukon seems like a nice place. Only 31,000 people in the whole terrority...it's three times the size of my state but with less than a third of the population of my town.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Whitehorse_Yukon.JPG

Whitehorse seems nice. It has 20,000 people.

Hmmm, you're the first person I've heard say they want to move to one of the territories. But all in all, Canada is a nice country and you should enjoy it. Personally, I'm moving closer to Toronto within the next few years as that's where I'll likely be working when I graduate. I should even be working there this summer if things go the way I'd like them to.

Kareeser
February 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Ugh. Too cold. Southern Ontario is the place for a wussy like me.

kaldor
February 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm from Mount Pearl!

Nice! :D

Vince4Amy
February 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
One of the first things I'd do if I went to Canada is go to Davesfarm - Google it.

wootah
February 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hmm, it is nice in Canada. Today, it is all of -9 Celsius and fresh powder snow is coming down in Calgary, so I can slide my Jeep in 4WD around town - great fun.

Cheers,

Herman

Fort McMurray, Alberta -> -31 degrees Celsius. Bright and sunny, but windy :(

BazookaAce
February 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Antartica today: -45 degrees celcius

Cheers,

Herman

If you like cars and snow, then you must see "Top Gear - Polar Special". They're driving to the northpole in a Toyota Hilux (highly customized). The first in the worlds history that drives to the northpole in a car. Must see. Awsome TV-series.

darrenn
February 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM
If your looking for a affordable place to live you might want to check out Saskatoon or even better Regina. The cost of living is way, way, cheaper than Alaska.

cardinals_fan
February 25th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Before waxing rhapsodic on about life in Alaska, I recommend trying it.

The summers are beautiful - except for the vicious mosquitos. Fall can be nice too (the tundra is very pretty). Winter... varies. After 7 years here in Anchorage, only a couple have been nice. A nice Alaskan winter day is awesome - 20 degrees F, snowflakes falling, and great places to ski. But all too often, the winter falls into one of two extremes: icy or frigid. If the temperature rises above freezing, the snow melts and then hardens into a horrid ice. We also have a few cold snaps each year where the temperature stays between -10 and -30 degrees F for two weeks. These are nasty times to be outside, and it never snows when the wind is from the north.

Interior Alaska (Fairbanks) and the Yukon are even harsher. Expect -40 degrees F and baking temperatures in the summer.

With that said, Alaska can be beautiful. Here are two nice photos from two different seasons. The first is August in Denali National Park and the second is January above Anchorage.

mips
February 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Here are two nice photos from two different seasons.

Nice pics. Why are the tops of the mountains so bare, I assume the brown/bare parts start by the snowline? Is this due to erosion or just the frigging cold that nothing grows any further up. Can't tell how how the mountains are from a photo.

abn91c
February 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Move to Chicken, Alaska, Pop 57

Jesterday
February 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador

Sounds bigger than it is, only has a population 10 000. St. John's is way too big, and way too disorganized.

It is pretty damned cold in Lab. City though. -27 C this morning, brrrr, but you get used to the dry cold.

BazookaAce
February 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Nice pics. Why are the tops of the mountains so bare, I assume the brown/bare parts start by the snowline? Is this due to erosion or just the frigging cold that nothing grows any further up. Can't tell how how the mountains are from a photo.

The tree line or timberline is the edge of the habitat at which trees are capable of growing. Beyond the tree line, they are unable to grow because of inappropriate environmental conditions (usually cold temperatures, insufficient air pressure, or lack of moisture).

At the tree line, tree growth is often very stunted, with the last trees forming low, densely matted bushes. If it is caused by wind, it is known as krummholz formation, from the German for 'twisted wood'.

The tree line, like many other natural lines (lake boundaries, for example), appears well-defined from a distance, but upon sufficiently close inspection, it is a gradual transition. Trees grow shorter towards the inhospitable climate until they simply stop growing.