PDA

View Full Version : A free program for playing windows games

Dustin2128
February 24th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Is there any program on the level of cedega for playing windows games? Though I think consoles are better suited than computers, I have several friends who play windows games, and want to swap to linux, but don't want to miss those games. Another thing, how is it that Cedega supposedly works better on games than wine?

Dustin2128
February 24th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Wine doesn't count

Ms_Angel_D
February 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
You can try Play on Linux (http://www.playonlinux.com) It's free and I use it for Guild Wars it works great!

Rokurosv
February 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I recommend Play On Linux too. So far I've played Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Warhammer Dawn of War and a couple of older games with it.

kavon89
February 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM
What's wrong with wine?

yther
February 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM
What's wrong with wine?

It'll stain your carpet and can be really difficult to clean up. :(

MaxIBoy
February 24th, 2009, 05:38 AM
If WINE doesn't count, nothing does. Cedega itself is a fork of WINE (was originally based on WINE but it's gone its own way.) The idea is that Cedega only supports a few games, but it supports those specific ones perfectly.

Play on Linux, Wine-Doors, and CrossOver are the alternatives, and they're all wrappers around WINE. All they do is automatically set WINE up for certain applications that are known to work a certain way.

WINE is currently the best solution if you want to run many different programs, besides just games. It works pretty well. In my opinion, Cedega is obsolete in light of WINE's amazing progress (they're already working on directX 10!)

Lets look at the statistics:

WINE has almost 2000 applications on its "platinum" list. Platinum applications run perfectly without any special configuration.
Grand total, WINE has 5500 applications that work at least decently.
Cedega has "over 40" applications that have been "officially certified" as working in Cedega.
Cedega has about 1500 applications rated as "working" under Cedega.

WINE wins, hands down.

handy
February 24th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Codeweavers (Crossover) are honest, what they say is accurate as can be, as opposed to Transgaming (Cedega), who's honesty has been clouded by their marketroid ambitions which cause them to bend the truth to a great degree, often.

The Codeweavers dev's monitor the forum closely, the Transgaming dev's have only started to talk like they do due to a huge amount of negative feedback coming from their beta testers about how poor the Transgaming support is!

The prime Wine dev's work for Codeweavers, it is how they get money to eat & pay their mortgage.

Codeweavers are the prime source of corporate support for the Wine project.

Dustin2128
March 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
thanks everybody

speedwell68
March 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
It'll stain your carpet and can be really difficult to clean up. :(

Sprinkle some salt on to the fresh stain and dab the area with some kitchen towel.:D

SunnyRabbiera
March 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Wine can be surprising, things have worked in wine for me that I didnt expect.
Crossover games is a good investment, even with a price tag its money goes to the development of Wine.