PDA

View Full Version : Need to install g++ 3.5 on Intrpid Ibex

DBQ
February 24th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Hi everybody, I need to install g++ version 3.5 on Intrepid. However, it is not in Synaptic. I tried adjusting the software sources, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

geirha
February 24th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Why do you need to install a four-five year old version of g++?

DBQ
February 24th, 2009, 03:20 AM
My program, which compiled fine in 8.04 just refuses to compile in 8.10. I figured that this is a g++ problem :(

dwhitney67
February 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM
My program, which compiled fine in 8.04 just refuses to compile in 8.10. I figured that this is a g++ problem :(

I haven't even seen your code, but I will go out on a limb and deduce that the problem lies with your code, not with g++. Would it not be better to correct the issues with your code?

DBQ
February 24th, 2009, 03:45 AM
It would be -- I know that the older versions of g++ forgave things which later versions do not. I plan to do this. However, right now I do not have the time to do the whole 9 yards, and I need to run the program. Is there any temporary workaround? Thank You!

agim
February 24th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Find the 3.5 source code, if its around.
Or install 8.04 as a dual boot or through virtual box.
Maybe you can get real, real lucky and find a g++ 3.5 .deb file.

Don't forget to remove your current g++ before installing the older version.

DBQ
February 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I have searched for 3.5 in vain. I guess my only choice now is to install 8.04. *sigh*.

dwhitney67
February 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I just upgraded to 8.10 the other day from 8.04; I could be mistaken, but I could have swore that 8.04 had GCC version 4.1.x (or was it 4.2.x?).

Version 3.5 is ancient; but it is probably available at www.gnu.org.

P.S. I just looked here: http://gcc.releasenotes.org/
There is no version 3.5... was I on a wild-goose chase?

DBQ
February 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I though there was. I just remembered that it was an earlier version. In any case, I figured it out. Thanks for your help, and sorry about the wild goose. :neutral:

geirha
February 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
There have been a few changes from the default g++ version (4.2) in Hardy to the default g++ version (4.3) in Intrepid. One of which is what header files get included from iostream.

The following simple c++ program will compile with no warnings on g++-4.2, because including iostream will also include cstdlib which is where srand and rand are declared, but with 4.3 on intrepid, cstdlib is no longer included from iostream.

#include <iostream>
int main(void) {
srand(time(NULL));
std::cout << "Random number between 1 and 10: " << (rand()%10)+1
<< std::endl;
return 0;
}

Compiling and running with g++-4.2 on Hardy:

$ g++ -Wall test.cpp && ./a.out
Random number between 1 and 10: 9

Compiling and running with g++-4.3 on Intrepid

$ g++ -Wall test.cpp && ./a.out
test.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
test.cpp:3: error: ‘srand’ was not declared in this scope
test.cpp:4: error: ‘rand’ was not declared in this scope

Including <cstdlib> will make it compile on both, so you probably just need to include some extra headers to make it compile with the latest version.

monkeyking
February 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Try posting your compile errors