PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Reinstalling Ubuntu

Wofo
February 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
First of all, hello people.

I'll tell you the problem I have.

I installed Ubuntu Hardy about 5 months ago, then I updated it to Intrepid Ibex. I made many changes in lots of configurations, sometimes not knowing what I was doing, so at this moment my Ubuntu is a little bit messed up and there are many programs that don't work well.
Under this circumstances I decided to reinstall Ubuntu. So I booted from the Live CD, opened the setup program and found out that Ubuntu didn't recognise the ext3 partition I use, same happened with the NTFS partition. So the only alternative I have now is to make the partitions all over again, the problem is I can't do that because I have Windows XP and don't want it to be eliminated in the proccess.

So, my question is: How can i reinstall Ubuntu without touching the other partitions?

I will appreciate very much your help.
Thanks in advance.

Elfy
February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Does the livecd not see any of your existing partitions?

sudo fdisk -l whould show all the partitions on your drives.

To install over the top of the existing partition pick manual when the partitioner starts -

then right click the old ubuntu partition and Edit partition -
pick ext3 from the Use As dropdown menu and / from the Mountpoint dropdown menu -

not sure if there is a format option in edit partitions, if not then tick the correct box on the partition list to format it.

taurus
February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
When you get to the partition screen, what happens if you pick the Manual option? Does it show all the partitions on your harddrive?

Wofo
February 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks forestpixie, but I can't do what you say because (also answering to taurus) when i get to the partitioner screen and click in the manual option it doesn't show all the partitions, it shows the entire HD without any partition, even the GNU one.

I hope there's any solution.

Thanks again

Elfy
February 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Can you post the result of

sudo fdisk -l