PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MBP 5,2. Big switch, some initial questions

inphektion
February 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
So for the first time ever I got a mac, and for the first time I plan on using Ubuntu as my primary OS (instead of XP). I've used ubuntu for a few years now so it isn't new to me... but some questions now.
On this MBP I have 8GB ram
I'm going to leave the OSx and make it about 40GB parition.
I can give ubuntu the remaing 257GB but should I carve out a 4GB slice for swap? Less or more?

Also I was planning on installing XP as a vm inside of the ubuntu. Can I create a 3rd partition on the physical disk for XP and have the vm boot that plus boot that natively? Or can vm's only boot the .vmdk or whatever disk image is for virtualbox?

Also I want to use Jaunty mainly because I want to start on ext4. I've read ext4 isn't an option in the basic install? Is this true and can grub boot off ext4 now?

cyberdork33
February 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
On this MBP I have 8GB ram
I'm going to leave the OSx and make it about 40GB parition.
I can give ubuntu the remaing 257GB but should I carve out a 4GB slice for swap? Less or more?If you want to be able to hibernate (AKA suspend to disk) then you have to have swap at least as large as your RAM, but not required. 4GB should be plenty for normal use (especially with 8GB RAM).

Also I want to use Jaunty mainly because I want to start on ext4. I've read ext4 isn't an option in the basic install? Is this true and can grub boot off ext4 now?What I read today was that Jaunty will support ext4, but it will still use ext3 as the default. http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha4#ext4%20installation%20support

I would check the forums for info about Ubuntu on MacBookPro5,1 and 5,2 as there are still some unresolved issues.

inphektion
February 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Can you format ext4 partitions during the install of alpha jaunty? I'll find out in a couple days if no one knows.

cyberdork33
February 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Can you format ext4 partitions during the install of alpha jaunty? I'll find out in a couple days if no one knows.
let me boot the cd i downloaded today and I will see. but I think the point of the note that I linked to was to say that you could, yes.

EDIT
Yes, the option is in the manual installer to use ext4

inphektion
February 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
by manual installer do you mean the alternative cd?
thanks.

anyone know whether any other vm software can work like vmware fusion on a mac where it can boot xp from a physical disk within a mac host os? I'd be nice to run ubuntu and boot xp that way "virtually" but then also be able to boot xp native.

cyberdork33
February 25th, 2009, 03:44 AM
by manual installer do you mean the alternative cd? I meant manual partitioner

anyone know whether any other vm software can work like vmware fusion on a mac where it can boot xp from a physical disk within a mac host os? I'd be nice to run ubuntu and boot xp that way "virtually" but then also be able to boot xp native.parallels will also, and I think virtualbox has the capability. This is really a question to pose to the manufacturers of those products though.

inphektion
February 25th, 2009, 06:18 AM
think I found something about that.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6795775&posted=1#post6795775

I'll be giving all this a try shortly so I'll start having answers instead of questions...
just trying to preemptively ask to see where I may encounter roadblocks.