PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xps m1330 media remote control

vrv123
February 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hi experts,

I have a dell xps m1330 with Ubuntu 8.10 installed.
issues with media controls(images attached):
1) the remote control is not working with ubuntu 8.10.
2) only the volume buttons on the keyboard are working, the rest eject, play/pause etc are not working.

as the system was preinstalled with vista, the media center remote control used to work fine with it, but does not work with Ubuntu 8.10.

how do i get these to work, is there an alternative media control existing for Ubuntu 8.10 ?

please help me....

Thanks in advance.

vrv123
February 24th, 2009, 12:23 AM
pls reply....

Yeti can't ski
March 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Did you have any success?

In my case, only two keys of the remote will work "Down", "Play/Pause" and "Stop". All others are plain dead. I don't know if this may be the result of the fact that I reconfigured the keyboard for using special characters.

I googled a lot and searched the forums but couldn't find any answer. I think a fresh install would sort the problem, but I don't want to do it because I have done a lot of tweaking and fine tuning in my system.

Your remote control has no reaction at all? Did you test the remote with Vista? Has it ever worked or shown any sign of life (even if a faint one like my own)? Don't kill me for saying that but did you try changing/moving the battery of the remote? The "plus" and letters should be "up", that means on the external face of the remote, on the side were the plastic cover goes.

Good luck and sorry for not helping much (at all).

Yeti

jespdj
March 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Maybe this will work:

Go to System / Preferences / Keyboard Shortcuts. Define keyboard shortcuts for the functions that you want to use by using the remote control.

I didn't try this with the remote control on my M1530, but I did use this to define functions for the media buttons on the computer.