PDA

View Full Version : UBUNTU presentation!!

heartwarmer
February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
so here is the deal, am thinking of making a presentation about ubuntu
but I only have 10 minutes max.
I think i should talk about these things:

1. ubuntu history (when was it first created...).
2. things it offers (stability,opensource,free,no viruses..)
3. ubuntu community.

is there other things I should mention?
should i make a differentiation between ubuntu and windows?

timberjack
February 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
should i make a differentiation between ubuntu and windows?

no

tubezninja
February 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I don't think a history lesson on ubuntu would be necessary either. Focus on its features, point to the fact it's free, point out its benefits and show off some applications. 10 minutes rolls by fast when you're doing a presentation/demo.

At the end, you can summarize, showing a few links that point out where you can download ubuntu, a link to a site describing the history and philosophy, the forums for support and discussion, etc.

Bölvağur
February 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
no

indeed. Otherwise you will have to rationalize not doing comparison vs bds, mac osx, beos, solaris and just over a hundred other operating systems. Also this is linux, you cannot compare it to anything other than systems that have same diversity.

Anxious Nut
February 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I've done that year ago, my advice,

*Define it if it is not known in your class.
1.tell some of it's history, how it came to live and mention some stuff about GNU.
2.its current status, and how it became like this (ubuntuforums and launchpad)
3.If you're capable of doing this, DO it(i've done it): make homemade ubuntu CDs and distribute them on your class, adding a paper containing warning,cause you may format your computer and how to change CD priority in BIOS would be great!

and don't forget to tell them that they can use it as a Live CD

heartwarmer
February 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I don't think a history lesson on ubuntu would be necessary either. Focus on its features, point to the fact it's free, point out its benefits and show off some applications. 10 minutes rolls by fast when you're doing a presentation/demo.

At the end, you can summarize, showing a few links that point out where you can download ubuntu, a link to a site describing the history and philosophy, the forums for support and discussion, etc.

i guess your right.

indeed. Otherwise you will have to rationalize not doing comparison vs bds, mac osx, beos, solaris and just over a hundred other operating systems. Also this is linux, you cannot compare it to anything other than systems that have same diversity.

I also thought so.

blackgr
February 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
JUst focus on how easy it easy to remove and add applications from synaptic or Add/remove applications and ofcourse mention the ubuntu plan of the 6 month releases and LTS realeases.

mips
February 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
What type of class is this presentation for?

I generally stayed away from computer related topics as people find them boring. Boring means no interest from your audience/teacher and lower marks in general.

BuffaloX
February 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Skip the history lesson, it would take too much time or be pretty pointless I think.

Don't compare with other systems, either people recognize it already or they don't care about it.

Mention that it's free like freedom of speech, and how open source allow collaboration between many companies universities and individuals, and that the development model is somewhat similar to how science works, and that it is even backed by big companies like IBM Intel Novell Red-Hat and HP showing a lot of interest too.

Show how easy it is to use, and how complete it is immediately after installation. (Office Gimp Internet etc.)

The Synaptix idea mentioned earlier in this thread is great IMO.

Security is better than any other system available, because security is build in from the beginning, and is constantly scrutinized by experts, because Linux run most of the internet.

Maybe show how it can be put on an USB stick, and boot from any computer, complete with bookmarks for Firefox and other personal preferences.

Mention Linux is efficient and completely scalable because it's open source, everything from mobile phones to 80-90% of the top 500 supercomputers in the world.

I don't know the forum you are going to address, but you should probably keep things as simple as possible.

smartboyathome
February 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Remember not to "preach" about it. If you do, it puts more people off than make them want to use.