PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu for Cell Phones

BigBig5
February 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have an idea for cell phones. Make a Ubuntu to work on them, like having them on the iPhone

komputes
February 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I've thought about this a lot and yes, I like the idea, but I don't want it to exclusively be for a limited interface like the iPhone. I want the option to install a full desktop on the phone and use an application which controls the cell phone's controls for calling, sms etc. I'd also like to see a device which allows this to be used on a regular i386 computers. A little USB-SIM-Anteana device & a cell phone control application which turns your computer into a cell phone. This should technically be possible... would need to find out how much juice usb gives out compared to what a phone runs on.

50uth3rn
February 26th, 2009, 02:10 AM
i used to have a usb phone charger so surely usb would provide the power?

MosesX8
February 26th, 2009, 02:22 AM
they got debian working for the G1, so in theory i dont see why ubuntu couldnt.

i dont see it working for the iphone though.

stardash
February 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Is there an app that would interface with the hardware of the phone? I am sure it would be different for each phone, this would make it a bit harder to get it up and running seeing that you may need a different distro for each type of phone you do it for. I have a spare xv6700 I could try some things on.