PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu will only load after reboot!

apitz
February 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
My problem is that Ubuntu freeze after showing the load bar, and all I get is a black screen! I canít do anything at that point.

The strange thing about this problem is that it only happens after shut down of the system. Iím running dual-boot Ubuntu/Win XP. There is no problem booting Windows, and if I then restart (not shut down) from Windows there is no problem loading Ubuntu during the new startup. The same happens if I restart Ubuntu. The problem only shows when the computer goes on/off.

System info:
Desktop
Amd Sempron 3000+
512 Mb
Video: Asus Radeon HD 3450
Hdd: Maxtor 80 Gb partitioned

Can anybody please help me with this strange problem? Iím totally new to Ubuntu/Linux.

Vevey
February 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I am running on AMD Sempron and have encountered this problem too. I wonder if it's something to do with that?

Mine freezes just after the beige login screen though, and sometimes freezes with a gnome setting daemon error message. It tends to work fine after I reboot, although soemtimes it requires more than just one reboot.

What version of Ubuntu are you on? I'm on Hardy Heron 8.04

pastalavista
February 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
I have a Sempron 3500+ single boot Ubuntu system and it won't shut down unless I log off first. It once wouldn't suspend or hibernate (does both of those perfectly now after several kernel updates) but when I click shutdown or just press the power button (set to shut down) it restarts. No problem for me to log off first, but just a weird little glitch. I prefer to hibernate anyway... keeps my "uptime" in Conky growing and growing...

apitz
February 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I am running on AMD Sempron and have encountered this problem too. I wonder if it's something to do with that?

Mine freezes just after the beige login screen though, and sometimes freezes with a gnome setting daemon error message. It tends to work fine after I reboot, although soemtimes it requires more than just one reboot.

What version of Ubuntu are you on? I'm on Hardy Heron 8.04

I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. The only ways I can get Ubuntu to load, is to boot on the live cd, or boot Windows, restart and then choose ubuntu in the boot menu.

Could the Vga card also be a possible problem?