PDA

View Full Version : why do people get mad because of a double post?

colifato13
February 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Is it because of the higher rank?

i just saw two people fighting over it!
wouldn't that also make you get a higher ranking?

are there any other reasons for hating it, because if there aren't then there is no reason to fight, is just making it worst.

etnlIcarus
February 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
I don't care about people artificially increasing their post count, it's just annoying - like people driving gigantic SUVs through the metropolitan suburbs; inefficient, difficult to get past and potentially a statement of self-importance.

It's not exactly difficult to multi-quote. Hell, it's actually easier to multi-quote.

colifato13
February 23rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, but fighting over it is pointless, unless your a hypocrite

hahaha, It's crazy how fast people get brainwash by the media, i agree with you SUVs are waste of space.

etnlIcarus
February 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
>.> what are we talking about?

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Damn, only four or five posts into the thread and I'm already confused.

etnlIcarus
February 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Your confusion is the media's fault, apparently.

colifato13
February 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
ohh s#$!t i didn't know there new post.

The first line is about double post and on the second one i'm just telling you that your right about the SUVs.

mcduck
February 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
If, by double posting, you mean posting the same question multiple times in different forum sections, that's annoying because you often spend a lot of time answering someones question in one thread only to notice that somebody else did the same thing in another thread. All the work and time you used to answer the question was wasted.

bertolo
February 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
SUV in city are a waste of everything.

etnlIcarus
February 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I thought he was talking about double posting like this.

etnlIcarus
February 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
>.>

mcduck
February 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
SUV in city are a waste of everything.

SUV anywhere is waste of everything, as they are not capable of driving off-road anyway. :D

There are better cars for driving in cities, there are better cars for highways, there are better cars for offroad driving and there are better cars for carrying things. SUVs aren't good at anything.

colifato13
February 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
hey i didn't know that double posting was what mcduck said.
I was talking about posting like etnlIcarus did.

I don't really mind the small SUVs, but there are some huge escalades and expeditions by were i live, its always impossible to find parking close to my building.

Sand & Mercury
February 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
It's good forum etiquette to edit or multi-quote instead of posting again, yes. Not worth fighting over, but worth pointing out.

Double posting is acceptable when there's significant news from the last post and a good amount of time has passed.

colifato13
February 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
yeah your right is better to edit, i read that forums didn't allow to edit posts because people were using it to get there rating up but i guess i was reading some 1990s news, i just realize the edit button a while ago. hahah

mcduck
February 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
hey i didn't know that double posting was what mcduck said.
I was talking about posting like etnlIcarus did.

I don't really mind the small SUVs, but there are some huge escalades and expeditions by were i live, its always impossible to find parking close to my building.

Well, double posting can mean both of these things.

Posting multiple posts after each other in the same thread is double posting as well, if the content of the posts is mostly the same.

If that's a good thing or not is hard to say. Quoting somebody's post can give strange results if the original poster makes significant changes to his post afterwards. On the other hand, if the content of the posts is pretty much the same posting it repeatedly makes reading the thread harder as there is more insignificant content.

I'd say that if you just want to make small corrections to your post then edit the original post, but if you want to add lots of new things (that could possibly change the meaning of the original post) then make a new post instead.

Quoting multiple posts is easier than following changes in posts that are edited. :)

And anything done just to increase post count is wrong. :D

kaldor
February 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
I personally do not care about double posts (unless it is annoying). What if you are on a forum where you cannot edit posts, etc?

I guess this is what would annoy people:

Poster 1: *message*
Poster 2: *reply*
Poster 2: *irrelevant comment*
Poster 2: lol

etc.

spupy
February 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
It's because of the wasted electrons.

Please think of the electrons!