PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Merging FireFox bookmarks

God Of Atheism
February 23rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hi,

How do I go about merging FireFox bookmarks from previous installations together with those from my current installation? I have the .json bookmarks backups from some previous installations. Since there are all kind of indices within the files, simply copy pasting one after the other will probably break things. Does anyone know of any way of importing firefox bookmarks from another firefox installation by means of the .json backup?

Thanks

InspiredIndividual
March 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
I think you can do this by saving your current bookmarks to a html-file, restore the previous bookmarks from the json-file and import the bookmarks from the saved html-file afterwards.

Porch951
March 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I just did this the other day, lemme try to remember...

I believe you go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.
From there, there will be a little dropdown on the top, around the center. From there you can select to "Import". That should do the trick, or at least get you started! :)

InspiredIndividual
March 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I just did this the other day, lemme try to remember...

I believe you go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.
From there, there will be a little dropdown on the top, around the center. From there you can select to "Import". That should do the trick, or at least get you started! :)

As far as I know, your suggestion only works to import html-files. The original poster needs to import a json-file.

madhi19
March 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Hummm. This might sound stupid but just install the foxmarks addon. That way you be able to sync every bookmarks between all the machines you are using. If you dual boot or have more than one computer that a big time saver.

tuskenraider
March 28th, 2009, 04:32 AM
i agree with the guy above me ... foxmarks is the best bookmarks organizer.

tusken