PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Using Docky with XFCE

ksmc
February 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Docky runs perfectly well in XFCE but because it's designed to work with Gnome you can't just drag a programme onto the dock. Does anyone know of another way of adding launchers to it?

ufugu
February 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Just invoke Gnome-Do (super+spacebar), search for the item you want, then click the little plus sign that appears under the icon. That should add it to Docky.

kidux
February 27th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Just invoke Gnome-Do (super+spacebar), search for the item you want, then click the little plus sign that appears under the icon. That should add it to Docky.
Hey thanks! That was something I didn't know!

ufugu
February 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
You're welcome!

Docky is really unique and wonderful...

cuddy2977
May 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hey thanks! That was something I didn't know!

Me neither … !

Although I <i>do</i> know I can add an app to Docky, using a right-click.

Does that help … ?

NormanFLinux
May 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Docky works fine in XFCE. You could also run Unity 2D but then you'd pull in GNOME desktop as a dependency.

I hope Canonical makes it desktop independent in a future version.

mariost
May 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM
After xubuntu 11.04 fixed a major panel ordering item problem, i started using 2 extra xfce panel as a dock. Just set all the programs u use there as launchers. And the second extra panel i arranged just on the right of the first (both are on my left) and put there "Window buttons". Made both autohide and it works perfectly, even better than Docky for one reason - when i am selecting something in terminal for example, and go to the left border, Docky pops up while the normal panel doesn't. :popcorn:

ManualSparrow
May 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I endorse that sentiment - the XFCE4 panel makes a good, light dock with a lot more options than Docky.