PDA

View Full Version : I just tried Linux Mint

ubuntu27
February 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
I have not installed Linux Mint 6 (http://www.linuxmint.com/) on the Hard Drive, but I have test it on the LiveCD.

I am impressed by how it looks and how responsive it is.

It is much faster than Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD.

The fact that it comes with restricted codecs pre-installed is a plus. I am recommending Linux Mint to my non-US friends. :)

If you have not tried Linux Mint yet you should try it.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Download Torrent:
http://www.linuxmint.de/downloads.html

Click on "Main Edition LinuxMint-6.iso.torrent (http://www.lintelligence.de/getdownload/e9b866c7b31f73c/1235360235/879)"

If you have tried Linux Mint, can you provide some comments?

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hm. I've thought about it, but for some reason I get mad at myself and feel like I'm giving up on the Ubuntu world :(

Therion
February 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
I've tried it. I'd say it's fine but nothing to get excited about.

Currently I'm running Debian "Lenny" and finding THAT pretty exciting. But if Mint works for you, go for it. Super Ubuntu also comes pre-loaded with multimedia codecs and such. If you want a "pure" Ubuntu distro that's pre-loaded for handing out to your friends you can find it here (download links at the bottom of the page):

http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_Ubuntu

Skripka
February 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
I am impressed by how it looks and how responsive it is.

It is much faster than Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD.

I think most things out there are quicker than Ubuntu, now.

konqueror7
February 23rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
i've tried in a vm, didn't like the feel of it, especially the menu...but its great for starters in linux...

_noob_
February 23rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
It's a great OS if you're trying to convert people to linux.

Rokurosv
February 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
It's Ubuntu with codecs and some other goodies. It was the first distro I touched after my long absense from Linux about 6 months ago, I totally recommend it for people that want more out of the box that what Ubuntu can provide.

RichardLinx
February 23rd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hm. I've thought about it, but for some reason I get mad at myself and feel like I'm giving up on the Ubuntu world :(

Do you like it more then Ubuntu?

swoll1980
February 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
If your an experienced Buntu-er there's not much Mint can offer you except a longer wait till the next release.

RichardLinx
February 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
If your an experienced Buntu-er there's not much Mint can offer you except a longer wait till the next release.

And out of the box support for multimedia. Which means no time wasted downloading ubuntu-restricted-extras and libdvdcss2. Not to mention (IMO) a much nicer layout.

ubuntu27
February 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM

Well.. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. So you won't be leaving the Ubuntu world :popcorn:

I still use Ubuntu.

One thing that I like about ubuntu is that it explains about Restricted Formats/Codecs issue. What is Free/Libre and what is Restricted Codecs?

Like in this Ubuntu's Wiki: Free Formats (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeFormats)

This document provides a short explanation of what a Free format is, along with some specific information on the range of Free formats which are available for you to use.

What is a Free format?

Some file formats are proprietary, which means that they are owned by a company or other organisation. Sometimes, the owners of such formats charge licensing fees or impose legal restrictions on the use of their formats. This means that people may be unable to use or distribute these formats without first paying a fee or applying for a license.

A Free or open format is one which can be used by anyone, free of legal restrictions on how they use the format. Free formats are very popular - the World Wide Web is based on the open HTML standard. Ubuntu supports many free formats and the open-source community as a whole encourages their wider use.

Here are some reviews of Linux Mint 6 if you are interested:

Linux Mint Raises the User-Friendliness Bar (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6625/1/)

Linux Mint 6 Felicia Review : It Must Be Christmas (http://www.penguinway.net/?p=247)

Only interested in Screenshots? Linux Mint 6 ScrennShots (http://www.linuxdynasty.org/linux-mint-6-screenshots.html)

BGFG
February 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
And out of the box support for multimedia. Which means no time wasted downloading ubuntu-restricted-extras and libdvdcss2. Not to mention (IMO) a much nicer layout.

But for experienced Buntu'ers, who really cares about out of the box multimedia support ?
I have never installed a fresh system then felt a burning need to play an mp3 or a movie. My system is partitioned so yeah, the multimedia files are on the drive but I generally have more important software i want to get on my system rather than entertain myself.

Besides, for totally fresh systems there is nothing there to play, so where is the harm in taking a few mins to download some codecs ? for future use...

the only think i think is missing is In your Face info that says by default Ubuntu won't play this, this and this, but simply go to applications>>Add remove......

RichardLinx
February 23rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
But for experienced Buntu'ers, who really cares about out of the box multimedia support ?
I have never installed a fresh system then felt a burning need to play an mp3 or a movie. My system is partitioned so yeah, the multimedia files are on the drive but I generally have more important software i want to get on my system rather than entertain myself.

Besides, for totally fresh systems there is nothing there to play, so where is the harm in taking a few mins to download some codecs ? for future use...

the only think i think is missing is In your Face info that says by default Ubuntu won't play this, this and this, but simply go to applications>>Add remove......

For an experienced Ubuntu user I guess it wouldn't be an issue, just a little extra effort. For a new user Linux Mint would seem miles ahead of Ubuntu while I'm sure there opinion of Ubuntu would be "It sucks, can't even play MP3's or DVD's".
I like your idea of implementing an 'in your face' message that tells you how to fix these 'issues'.

It also depends on a users individual needs I guess. You on one hand don't care to listen to an MP3 after a fresh install, while on the other hand one of the first things I do is import a good portion of my MP3 library so that I can listen to some tunes. It's also a drag having to install Flash on a fresh Ubuntu install but in Mint? No problems, flash is installed 'out of the box'.

swoll1980
February 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
For an experienced Ubuntu user I guess it wouldn't be an issue, just a little extra effort. For a new user Linux Mint would seem miles ahead of Ubuntu while I'm sure there opinion of Ubuntu would be "It sucks, can't even play MP3's or DVD's".
I like your idea of implementing an 'in your face' message that tells you how to fix these 'issues'.

When you go to play a file on Ubuntu, it says you can't do that, unless you install this, click here. Seems simple enough. Don't get me wrong Mint is great, and all, but if you know what your doing the things it offers isn't worth waiting the extra 2 months for a release. At least for me it's not.

BGFG
February 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
Have to agree with you both, plus as I typed my post I thought to myself, what better way to customize a fresh install, than while listening to your 'fresh install' playlist...
It's not like WE have to stop every running program while we install stuff :)
But really, and i've posted this before sometime, I'm past the point of bothering with Ubuntu derivatives. Debian is Debian and Red Hat Red Hat. From one base OS you can basically create any distro you want...
Which rocks hard.

RichardLinx
February 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
When you go to play a file on Ubuntu, it says you can't do that, unless you install this, click here. Seems simple enough. Don't get me wrong Mint is great, and all, but if you know what your doing the things it offers isn't worth waiting the extra 2 months for a release. At least for me it's not.

Well if you learn about or decide to try Mint after it's already been released it's not much of an issue, not to mention the fact that a lot of users prefer to wait a month or two after a new Ubuntu release anyway.
I can't remember correctly because I haven't used Ubuntu in quite a while but I'm pretty sure that when it prompts you for codecs it recommends that you pay for the 'official' ones.

thraxy
February 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I like Linux Mint. The 64bit is very good. I like the extra mint applications, like mintnanny. It's handy to easily be able to block domains when I'm... ehh... looking at some... ehh... special niche websites ;)

I think what Linux Mint needs is a bigger team though. It would be excellent if they could release the amd64 at the same time as the main edition.

Bart_D
February 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
....If you want a "pure" Ubuntu distro that's pre-loaded for handing out to your friends you can find it here (download links at the bottom of the page):

http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_Ubuntu

The ISO is 1.14 GB. I guess the distro must be quite bloated. The Linux Mint ISO is much smaller, isn't it?

Stan_1936
February 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
The only time I tried it(2 years ago) I found Mint to be slower than Ubuntu(both were installed on the HD).

...Linux Mint 6...I have test it on the LiveCD....It is much faster than Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD....

Really? That is quite intriguing indeed. Ubuntu + codecs + extras is FASTER than Ubuntu? It's either a hardware thing or they've made massive improvements over the past 2 years.

CJ Master
February 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
The only time I tried it(2 years ago) I found Mint to be slower than Ubuntu(both were installed on the HD).

Really? That is quite intriguing indeed. Ubuntu + codecs + extras is FASTER than Ubuntu? It's either a hardware thing or they've made massive improvements over the past 2 years.

Yea, I can testify that it's MUCH faster on live CD.

I love the mint menu so much :D and most the the mint tools are nice too. also love the starter programs. :)

hansdown
February 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM

It is intriguing. They still use an older kernel for mint ellysa.

cmay
February 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
i had linux mint the fluxbox edtition installed one day. it was so buggy that i could not use it at all. i am sure its great for others but mint is not for my hardware.

it takes me now around 30 minuttes to change the default GDM-theme to one i created myself and get the multimedia codecs up and running and then install the programs and updates i always end up doing anyway in ubuntu.

i have a very very simple bash script to do this. i uninstalled and reinstalled ubuntu many many times to try out other things so i know exactly how i want it to be when installing it again.

Orlsend
February 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
IF I ever switch from ubuntu (That will be really hard to believe) I prov will use Linux Mint. the Looks (To be able to have Higher Quality Grub) and the updte karma thing its just awesome!

timberjack
February 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Tried it, liked it, installed Arch and never looked back

Simian Man
February 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
The only reason it feels faster from the LiveCD is because it comes with restricted, 3D hardware drivers. The Mandriva LiveCD does too and I remember you could actually run Compiz off the CD and it felt fast.

Mint is just Ubuntu with extra stuff, it's not a distribution.

maybeway36
February 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Just because it's Ubunt with extra stuff doesn't mean it's not a distribution. Kubuntu and Xubuntu are distributions, right?

timberjack
February 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Just because it's Ubunt with extra stuff doesn't mean it's not a distribution. Kubuntu and Xubuntu are distributions, right?

When it comes to linux distro's it's a thin line between plagiarism and evolution

Bart_D
February 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM
...Mint....it's not a distribution.

http://distrowatch.com/

Rank....Distribution....Hits Per Day
1..........Ubuntu...........2311
2..........OpenSUSE.......1724
3..........Mint................1542

Stan_1936
February 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
The only reason it feels faster from the LiveCD is because it comes with restricted, 3D hardware drivers.....

What? How can MORE* make it feel like it has LESS(and hence faster)? No, I'm not buying that. There's got to be something else going on.

* - processes that require the usage of MORE memory/CPU power

Zero Prime
February 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM
The only reason it feels faster from the LiveCD is because it comes with restricted, 3D hardware drivers. The Mandriva LiveCD does too and I remember you could actually run Compiz off the CD and it felt fast.

Well said, just like a stereotypical Debian user. Oh wait, this is the Ubuntu forum, not the Debian Forums. Sometimes it's really hard to tell.

A lot more goes into Mint than just codecs and the Mint tools. There is a reason that it is hard to do a Distro Upgrade with Mint. It's not Ubuntu, that's the reason. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu packages because it is based on Ubuntu, but a lot of work goes on under the hood. A fresh install of the latest release of Ubuntu can be really buggy for a lot of people, but I haven't heard anyone complain about a fresh install of Linux Mint. Clem wants everything to work perfect out of the box and he does a great job at it.

Ubuntu is to Debian as Mint is to Ubuntu. Oh, and it is well known that Ubuntu can't survive without Debian, but Mint can survive without Ubuntu.

richg
February 24th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I went from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint 6 about three weeks ago. I am not usually a complainer but I really got tired of the brown in Ubuntu plus I could not view DVD movies.
With Mint 6, I could view DVD movies right out of the box you might say. No configuring needed.
I love the green background of Mint.

Rich

Bart_D
February 24th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I just can't get why so many people are complaining about lack of codecs, flash, etc. Copy and paste from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

and you're done... in less than 10 minutes you'll be watching DVDs, playing youtube videos smoothly and doing everything in Ubuntu without any problems.

...A lot more goes into Mint than just codecs and the Mint tools. ....

Do tell..........oh do tell.

swoll1980
February 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM

Ubuntu is just Debian with extra stuff, it's not a distribution?

aysiu
February 24th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I just can't get why so many people are complaining about lack of codecs, flash, etc. Copy and paste from here:

and you're done... in less than 10 minutes you'll be watching DVDs, playing youtube videos smoothly and doing everything in Ubuntu without any problems. New users are already overwhelmed by the culture shock of switching to something not Windows. Being disoriented with a lack of proprietary codecs just adds fuel to the disorientation fire. So they magically have the link to that tutorial and know how to copy and paste commands and into what?

Or does that require an additional 10 minutes of Googling?

Why not just not waste their time and give them the codecs preinstalled?

I happen to like vanilla Ubuntu better than Linux Mint, but I would never switch a new user over to Ubuntu without popular proprietary codecs already installed.

After all, why not just have Ubuntu have nothing installed and give you a boot prompt. It takes ten minutes to install the ubuntu-desktop metapackage.

zakany
February 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I was going to say pretty much the same thing, aysiu. If we want Ubuntu to be mainstream, it had better do what a computer is expected to do right from the start.

Bart_D
February 24th, 2009, 03:59 AM
...After all, why not just have Ubuntu have nothing installed and give you a boot prompt. It takes ten minutes to install the ubuntu-desktop metapackage.

Hehehe, good one.;)

richg
February 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM

and you're done... in less than 10 minutes you'll be watching DVDs, playing youtube videos smoothly and doing everything in Ubuntu without any problems.

Do tell..........oh do tell.

Less than ten minutes? Surely you jest. I know I was born in the dark, but it was not yesterday.

Rich

Bart_D
February 24th, 2009, 05:28 AM
If you mean 10 mins is "too long", well, I was actually meaning installing all/most of the software in that guide....not just codecs/flash.java, etc. I guess these pieces of "other" software would be considered extras, similar to what Mint has.

If you mean 10 mins is "too short", well given the fact that all you're doing is copying/pasting, you probably must not do much on a computer besides click click click on a mouse button.....it's a few simple lines that have to be copied.....IF* a beginner figures that out, it shouldn't take them very long(assuming they were remotely comfortable with Windows) to copy and paste.

* - I realize that's a big IF

Simian Man
February 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
What? How can MORE* make it feel like it has LESS(and hence faster)? No, I'm not buying that. There's got to be something else going on.

* - processes that require the usage of MORE memory/CPU power

Does anybody actually bother to profile CPU cycles or cache behaviour spent when comparing different systems? No, you just go by which "feels" faster. Having proper 3D drivers will make your desktop "feel" faster especially with Gnome because the desktop is so much smoother. It doesn't matter that your computer is actually doing more work.

And I don't consider Kubuntu or Xubuntu distributions either. The only reason that Ubuntu tries to package them differently is so as not to confuse new users (which I totally understand). Other distributions package the other desktop options as different spins if at all. You don't have Gedora, Kedora, Xedora, Gebian, Kebian, Xebian and so on.

Mint, similarly, is like a custom spin of Ubuntu. It uses the same repositories as Ubuntu and only really changes the default applications installed. I'm not trying to argue that Mint is useless, everything is good to have if people like it. I'm just saying that "switching" to Mint isn't really switching much.

ArtF10
February 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
...Having proper 3D drivers will make your desktop "feel" faster.......

Aren't those just the same drivers that Ubuntu provides in its Restricted Drivers menu? Or are they somehow customized in their setup(in Mint) and are not in Ubuntu?

Simian Man
February 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Aren't those just the same drivers that Ubuntu provides in its Restricted Drivers menu? Or are they somehow customized in their setup(in Mint) and are not in Ubuntu?

Yeah but we were talking about speed of the LiveCD. Ubuntu doesn't include them on the CD (must be downloaded later) whereas Mint does.

Dragonbite
February 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Yeah, but how long does that really take?

Vadi
February 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I found that changing the default theme to another one made it feel quicker. Have yet to meet an OS that's better though atm - and pre-installing illegal (in my place) codecs doesn't really win me over when I purchased the legal ones from Fluendo/Canonical.

zakany
February 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM

It's not how long it takes, but whether there's value in the status quo. Would you be inclined to buy a car without spark plugs, reasoning that it only takes a few minutes to install them (provided you know how a priori)? Or would you think it was pretty stupid to leave them out?

What is the value - to the user - of not including drivers and codecs?

ivaarsen
February 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
It's not how long it takes, but whether there's value in the status quo. Would you be inclined to buy a car without spark plugs, reasoning that it only takes a few minutes to install them (provided you know how a priori)? Or would you think it was pretty stupid to leave them out?

Although I've never really minded installing ubuntu-restricted-extras, I still quote this for truth.

u'b'u'n't'u
February 25th, 2009, 04:40 AM
For all of you who are thinking of migrating to another distro:

I once was a boy who was an Buntu-er,
I loved it like a son, yet I wanted more,
Red Hat, Mandriva, Debian to name afew...
Fedora, SUSE, Mint, and even Gentoo,
They were all the same boney OS,
Until I saw The 'Ol Edgy, sitting on my desk,
I let out a sigh and inserted the old thing,
I saw Ubuntu and felt like a king!
of all of the Distros I might try,
The 'ol 'Buntu half made me cry.

Stick with Ubuntu people!

WOW I JUST REALISED HOW NERDY I AM!!

Virtualboxbuntu
February 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I run Linux Mint on all my computers. It's the only distro that works with all my hardware (not even the KDE edition works...). I really like the menu, but I don't really like the theme that much. It's a bit annoying having to wait a while for the next release, but they include a lot of cool stuff, like mintInstall, mintAssistant, and mintUpdate. And any ubuntu programs work.

I recommend it to anybody I encounter on Yahoo! Answers who wants to try Linux.

BGFG
February 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM

I think this is a poor analogy. It would be better to say a car without a cd receiver or speakers. Ubuntu runs right out of the dealership. It does everything an OS should do. A few music and video formats are not as central to an OS as spark plugs are to a car.

wolfen69
February 25th, 2009, 05:47 AM
And out of the box support for multimedia. Which means no time wasted downloading ubuntu-restricted-extras and libdvdcss2.

i know. the 1 minute it takes me to download codecs is a real killer. :rolleyes:

swoll1980
February 25th, 2009, 06:04 AM

What if buying the car with the spark plugs installed made it illegal to give to a friend? Wouldn't it be worth the 5 minutes to ensure that freedom?

YoungQuiz
February 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I was going to say pretty much the same thing, aysiu. If we want Ubuntu to be mainstream, it had better do what a computer is expected to do right from the start.

fresh install windows xp CD dont install drivers

so the user stuck wit no internet and a crappy display and no sound
out the box.

it takes 2 mins to download codecs.

Old Marcus
February 25th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I prefer Linux Mint mainly for its 'feel'. I'm sure I could use Ubuntu easily enough, but I prefer Mint. Also, due to the delay between the release of Mint and Ubuntu, the updates that fix various bugs in Ubuntu releases are available from first install.