PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] change software source before install

mchamplain
February 23rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
Hi,
I'm from Canada and when I install Ubuntu, it take the main mirror for canada. I don't know why but it don't give me much speed (like 35kbps), and when I choose another canadian server i'm able to get 850kbps (my ISP speed)

So last time I installed it I tried to boot on the live CD, then go to change the software source (system->administration->Software Sources) and then click the icon to install, but the speed wasn't any better and I believe that it revert back to the default server.
So I guess that the installation take the default server from the localization you choose, am i right?

anyway, I was wondering if there's a way to force the installation to use a specific server so I don't get stuck at 80 something percent forever while it fetch informations on the net. Even the query for Internet time server takes a long time.

Any ideas?

x33a
February 23rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
you cannot make any changes on the live cd.

if you have installed ubuntu on a hard-drive, you can go to software sources, choose the server of your choice and the changes will be retained.

mchamplain
February 23rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
The first thing I do after installation is to change the server for software sources, it's just weird that we can't get a better server during the installation, we're stuck with a really slow server...

I might try other localisation to try to get better speed, I can always change that after...
At least it made me realise that it's best to boot the live cd and then start the installation, that way I can play at Mines while everything install :P

mchamplain
February 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
so, no one have a brilliant idea that would allow to force the use of a server during installation? :P