PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone think of a way to get Ubuntu/Linux more mainstream?

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
I've just been thinking, do you think there is any way we can work together to get Ubuntu out to people. Just something each and everyone of us can do. Any thoughts?

bgates
February 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Every time your grandma/cousin/friend/parent/their dog asks you to come over and do computer support, just install it. :D

chucky chuckaluck
February 23rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
I've just been thinking, do you think there is any way we can work together to get Ubuntu out to people.

hm! i don't know why no one's ever thought of this before!

HermanAB
February 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
You don't really need to do anything. Linux runs on three or four times more machines than MS Windows - granted, it is mostly cell phones and routers - but eventually people will clue in that Linux is everywhere already.

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
You don't really need to do anything. Linux runs on three or four times more machines than MS Windows - granted, it is mostly cell phones and routers - but eventually people will clue in that Linux is everywhere already.

It sure has taken them a while -_-

konqueror7
February 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
put free ubuntu cds in computer shops or give it as a 'rescue disk' together with vista-installed-pc...;)

_noob_
February 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM
Convert all non-believers. (that you know of that doesn't use linux.) That's what I do :D

LeakyInkPen
February 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM
"Virus, Huh? Linux fixes that you know..."

Got 2 people to switch just in the last month

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
But it won't work out of the box for some people, and they are so used to Windows, they might not know what they are doing, unless we give them a manual or something.

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 05:00 AM
"Virus, Huh? Linux fixes that you know..."

Got 2 people to switch just in the last month

Hehe, I should try that.

smartboyathome
February 23rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Just remember not to preach. That will put off more people than it will attract. See the appropriate link in my signature. :)

_noob_
February 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
Linux mint is a good beginner linux distro. A lot like *******. But less hassle.

abn91c
February 23rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Advertise in local papers and magazines, make a poster like this and plaster them everywhere

swoll1980
February 23rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Linux mint is a good beginner linux distro. A lot like *******. But less hassle.

How is Mint a lot like MS Windows?

days_of_ruin
February 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
But it won't work out of the box for some people, and they are so used to Windows, they might not know what they are doing, unless we give them a manual or something.

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index2.html

That should do the trick.

BuffaloX
February 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Recommend Linux for home-banking and internet.
Windows is much to insecure for that.

In Denmark we have just had an incident where 9000 home-banking accounts were closed, because the bank identified malware on the users systems that could bypass the security of their home-banking system.

Maybe mention the "Conficker" worm.

Put an Ubuntu streamer on your car. :p

Offer people (that are interested) to help out with installing and dual booting so they have nothing to loose.

If the talk is on computers while Talking with strangers:
Mention you use the NEW Ubuntu, not just Ubuntu. New implies it has something new to offer, it also implies it is actively supported as opposed to obsolete. If people ask what is Ubuntu? Just say it's a new version of Linux, which is slightly incorrect, but close enough.
If people ask what Linux is, you definitely know they are non techies, so just say it's an alternative to Windows which in some ways is better.
Always keep it simple, unless you are with people who are REALLY into computers.

In appropriate situations say a prayer where you include Stallman. :p

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hi,
Wear a sandwich board and walk up and down your high street?
There's some cool Linux merchandise on line, baseball caps e.t.c..

No seriously..I was re-installing windows for people but in some cases I put Linux on usually if they were long term windows users disillusioned with windows. Some struggled and needed windows back , others stayed with Linux.

So I've done my bit for mankind (and womankind);-).

Hilko
February 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
It is said that Ubuntu Linux will never become big or 'mainstraim'. Here is why: Hardest marketing problem ever (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1076238).
Linux will always stay small, unless someone comes up with a brillant idea and we really start marketing and making publicity.

However, doing something is better than nothing. Tell friends and family about it. Try to convince them in using it. If every user converts two new ones, our userbase will grow exponentially.

One other thing I can think of is that it would be great if we had some kind of propaganda page. Since we don't have commercials, we need a webpage (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17265/) where we can show off all the great work of the developers. Everyone could post a link to this page in their blogs, facebook, myspace profiles etc. Whenever someone around you is struggling with his computer, just direct them to this page.
Someone has to write it first though...

cb951303
February 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Do what apple does.
Polish the ubuntu desktop (looks is enough for mainstream), design good and beautiful hardware (like macbook). Sell them preinstalled with ubuntu.

EDIT: Also making the next big MMORPG only for linux, and bundling it with the above hardware would help too.

aysiu
February 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Money talks.

So if you want Linux to go mainstream...

When you have the choice between buying Linux preinstalled and buying Windows preinstalled to install Linux on yourself, go with the former.

When you have the choice between buying Linux-friendly hardware and Linux-unfriendly hardware, buy Linux-friendly hardware.

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
If it became mainstream..I reckon as soon as the 'business people' get their hands on it it will end up like another version of windows so there's a nightmare for ya.

RiceMonster
February 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Who cares?

hm! i don't know why no one's ever thought of this before!

lol

koenn
February 23rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
... I reckon as soon as the 'business people' get their hands on it it will end up like another version of windows so there's a nightmare for ya.
Yes, luckily, in all of Canonical, there's not one business man to be found.

aysiu
February 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Who cares?

lol
Mark Shuttleworth does:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Yes, luckily, in all of Canonical, there's not one business man to be found.

Sounds like a nice place to work. Have you checked thoroughly?..what about
$locate business person | less ;-)

ezsit
February 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
I used to think this was a good thing, to promote Linux use. After using Linux full time since 2005 at home (at work I have no choice - its Windows 2000 still) and trying to get converts, I have reversed my opinion. Now I live and let live. Linux use is fine growing at the rate its growing, slow and steady. No reason to worry about pushing Linux.

Its actually better to be in the extreme minority. There is freedom and complete control in the extreme minority. There is security and anonymity in the extreme minority. There is peace and harmony being one of the few, the proud, the Linux users. Let the world wallow in misery and enjoy the time we have left in the extreme minority.

Why do some people want to push Linux into the mainstream? Is the desire born in altruism and an honest attempt to better the lives of other computer users? If so, do not be so altruistic, for your altruism belies an extreme case of egoism and narcissism. Do you really suppose to know what is best for everyone else and have the responsibility to tell others what operating system they should be running?

Is the desire to push Linux into the mainstream born out of wanting to see proprietary software companies fall and be crushed by the good open source projects throughout the world? Are software companies evil and open source projects blessed and good ? Is yours the religious war? If so, please spare me and the rest of the world. Open source has its place, proprietary software has its place, and both have merits and pitfalls.

Finally, is the desire to push Linux into the mainstream born out of simply hating Windows or OS/X because one of those system caused you personal misery and grief some time ago and you have not yet worked through your feelings anger and betrayal? If so, grow up and get over it. Hating software is futile and a waste of time. Your energy is better spent enjoying life. Don't worry, be happy!

gaffurabi
February 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
what gnu/linux needs a real "killer app"

else, people are sheep and they will always stay that way

animestudiogeek
February 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
The main reason people still use Windows or Macs is because they're used to them. I think we need to have a national Linux awareness day! Or maybe we can have an organization to advertise for it. I'm pretty sure people will like the aspect of free stuff XD

EDIT:

Mark Shuttleworth does:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

Of course he does! It's like his child! You'd want your child to succeed, wouldn't you? Even if it didn't keep your name XD

koenn
February 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
else, people are sheep ...

and you are ... super-human ? a vegetable ? a goddess ?

phrostbyte
February 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Many many people use Windows but either hate it or don't even know what the hell it is. It's surprisingly not that hard to get people excited about Ubuntu.

All we got is word of mouth really. So tell other people about Ubuntu and why it's better then Windows. Even if they don't switch that's still one more person who knows the OS, and that's a win in it's own way.

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have some teaching experience and personally I think that Linux should be used in schools.

koenn
February 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a nice place to work. Have you checked thoroughly?..what about
$locate business person | less ;-)

that didn't work, but

elinks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd. |grep entrepreneur
[48]South African [49]entrepreneur [50]Mark Shuttleworth

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 11:57 PM
I love the idea and I want it to work, but these days what are the categories?..business OR charity OR religion.
Trust me it will all change.

Most of the population are not interested in computers and just want a computer to serve purposes like a slave or embedded system. Which for the most part I think will be the future of computing. Like the saying...'If you build something for fools then fools will use it'.

Will Linux ever become mainstream?..I really don't think so, not much more mainstream than it is unless it changes into something like windows. Then what? Linus Torvalds get's to be the worlds richest man?.

Red Hat was once free right?

When I first started using the internet there was no adverts online and spam was rare. In those days business minds stepped back because they never had enough time to pull statistics and formulate a business model since the technology was so new. I knew back then that as soon as they made their model that things would degrade.

mamamia88
February 24th, 2009, 12:39 AM
get hardware manufacturers to put it on their machines. if people have to install it by themselves most won't take the effort

WatchingThePain
February 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Isn't that what Bill Gates did?

Hilko
February 24th, 2009, 01:41 AM
get hardware manufacturers to put it on their machines. if people have to install it by themselves most won't take the effort

I totally agree. The problem is, how do you do that ?

aysiu
February 24th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I totally agree. The problem is, how do you do that ?
I posted a solution to this earlier in the thread.

some_random_noob
February 24th, 2009, 02:01 AM
When any of you make a game/website/picture, put in "made on Ubuntu" or "made with The GIMP". That way people will ask "wtf is ______" and then you can happily explain.

I also like the idea of having bumper stickers or Ubuntu avatars... it shows that you think the software is awesome and that you use it.

hoboken
February 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I used to think this was a good thing, to promote Linux use. After using Linux full time since 2005 at home (at work I have no choice - its Windows 2000 still) and trying to get converts, I have reversed my opinion. Now I live and let live. Linux use is fine growing at the rate its growing, slow and steady. No reason to worry about pushing Linux.

Its actually better to be in the extreme minority. There is freedom and complete control in the extreme minority. There is security and anonymity in the extreme minority. There is peace and harmony being one of the few, the proud, the Linux users. Let the world wallow in misery and enjoy the time we have left in the extreme minority.

Why do some people want to push Linux into the mainstream? Is the desire born in altruism and an honest attempt to better the lives of other computer users? If so, do not be so altruistic, for your altruism belies an extreme case of egoism and narcissism. Do you really suppose to know what is best for everyone else and have the responsibility to tell others what operating system they should be running?

Is the desire to push Linux into the mainstream born out of wanting to see proprietary software companies fall and be crushed by the good open source projects throughout the world? Are software companies evil and open source projects blessed and good ? Is yours the religious war? If so, please spare me and the rest of the world. Open source has its place, proprietary software has its place, and both have merits and pitfalls.

Finally, is the desire to push Linux into the mainstream born out of simply hating Windows or OS/X because one of those system caused you personal misery and grief some time ago and you have not yet worked through your feelings anger and betrayal? If so, grow up and get over it. Hating software is futile and a waste of time. Your energy is better spent enjoying life. Don't worry, be happy!

Nobody commenting on this? Personally if tomorrow ubuntu became the world's º1 OS I would go running to something more underground. In fact, in some circles ubuntu is already considered the "easy", "newbie" distro, for people not hardcore enough to install arch, or something. Oh well - the point is, now, for me, ubuntu fits my needs rather well.

Before dogmatically pushing it, we should analyse the reasons we have for wanting linux to become popular in the first place.

HammerOfDoubt
February 24th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Keep Linux Elite.

hoboken
February 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Yes, that sums it up nicely...

zakany
February 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Do you really want it to become mainstream? Clean up the default interface - consistancy is paramount. Install the best drivers for the users software, whether they're free or restricted - the user doesn't give one whit about your feelings, he wants his hardware to work correctly. Ditto for all codecs and what-not.

Settle on best-of-breed applications. Certify hardware "compatible with Ubuntu" and keep it that way through all releases. Sure, sell iron with Ubuntu pre-loaded, but also maintain an official list of commercial PCs for which Ubuntu is known to work flawlessly.

Rumbl3
February 24th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I'm pretty new but i love ubuntu and linux enough that i been spreading the word. Installed on my parents computer now they love it. My friends all are either thinking about it or dual booting now (cause of all the apps and stuff that come packed with ubuntu and much less of a headache then windows).

My other friend dual boots now and also runs his home server with ubuntu.
My co-worker she wanted a new machine and after seeing me using ubuntu on my machine i brought from home at work showing it off she wanted it installed on her new machine with no windows at all lol. She loves it.

I also been giving anyone i meet that wants to give it a go the link to the free pocket guide so they can learn the basics fast and learn that it's really nothing to be scared of.

So i guess word of mouth lol. I promote it everywhere i go and even include it in my game names on games now.

cardinals_fan
February 24th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Use it and talk to people about it if they ask. Otherwise, leave them alone. Preaching just tends to cause resentment.

Until preinstalled Ubuntu systems are common, users who don't find it for themselves may not have the motivation to configure hardware and set things up. Let people discover things for themselves and volunteer here to make sure that they get their problems solved quickly.

izizzle
February 24th, 2009, 03:00 AM
IMHO, I don't think it needs to go more mainstream. Ever since Ubuntu became integrated with Dell, things have been shaping up quite [NOT SO] well (I personally liked it better before the whole Dell thing). Plus, Linux is on many small devices such as GPS systems, PDA's, and the like.

hoboken
February 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Nobody likes a linux preacher. Besides, when they break something guess who's gonna get called to fix it?

gymophett
February 24th, 2009, 04:04 AM
It is said that Ubuntu Linux will never become big or 'mainstraim'. Here is why: Hardest marketing problem ever (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1076238).
Linux will always stay small, unless someone comes up with a brillant idea and we really start marketing and making publicity.

However, doing something is better than nothing. Tell friends and family about it. Try to convince them in using it. If every user converts two new ones, our userbase will grow exponentially.

One other thing I can think of is that it would be great if we had some kind of propaganda page. Since we don't have commercials, we need a webpage (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17265/) where we can show off all the great work of the developers. Everyone could post a link to this page in their blogs, facebook, myspace profiles etc. Whenever someone around you is struggling with his computer, just direct them to this page.
Someone has to write it first though...

The website is a great idea. I would do it, but I'm not going to pay any money to adopt a webpage.

Hilko
February 25th, 2009, 02:56 AM
The website is a great idea. I would do it, but I'm not going to pay any money to adopt a webpage.

No you don't need to spend money on it. Just write the content of the page; i.e. all the reasons why you use Ubuntu, what you like about it etc. Then
Create a new page in the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community) , that way others can help too.

WatchingThePain
February 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
You don't need to spend money to upload a page or a site anyway.
There are loads of free subdomains.
And for people who don't know xml or stuff like that there are applications to do that for you.
Most isp's give you free webspace and some even supply the tools.
If you do a webpage how many people will see it?.

Hilko
February 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM
It is important that the page is hosted on a domain that is related to Ubuntu. The ubuntu.com page would be the best place. But for a start the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community) wil do fine. That way others can help improve it. Later on we should ask someone to move it to the ubuntu.com page. Who can do that ?

AndrewKeith80
February 27th, 2009, 07:16 AM
IMHO , the most important feature which an operating system needs to get home users to accept it is the user interface.

Ubuntu doesnt have much acceptance among the non-savvy computer users because it has a klunky user interface.

If there was more effort done to polish up the user interface, add features to streamline configurations, more users would want to use it instead of windows.

Windows user interface might look sterile, but it works where its most needed for home users.

The second important feature that ubuntu lacks is the ability for non-savvy users to use the operating system without relying on help of skilled users. This is a real big drawback. Configuring the operating system for your girlfriend to use is not the same as having her configure it herself. The independence given to the users goes along way into building acceptance.

Yashiro
February 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
That and the fact that video display is garbage on Linux generally. Be that in the form of terrible 3D performance, choppy video playback or lack of any working vsync on the desktop.

It all just looks amateur. Long time users have learned to look past these trivialities because they still feel Linux is better than Windows.

But to new folk the ugly 'fat' dialogs, crappy fonts, weird screen updates and god awful video drivers play a big part in making Linux look second rate.

AndrewKeith80
February 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
But to new folk the ugly 'fat' dialogs, crappy fonts, weird screen updates and god awful video drivers play a big part in making Linux look second rate.

OMG , this statement is absolutely true. My wife took one look at ubuntu (hardy heron) and said its ugly compared to slick vista. (i dont have a mac, but i think mac's look pretty )

WatchingThePain
February 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Obviously none of you configured the graphics properly.

BigSilly
February 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
That and the fact that video display is garbage on Linux generally. Be that in the form of terrible 3D performance, choppy video playback or lack of any working vsync on the desktop.

It all just looks amateur. Long time users have learned to look past these trivialities because they still feel Linux is better than Windows.

Eh?

I don't get any of this. :confused:

OMG , this statement is absolutely true. My wife took one look at ubuntu (hardy heron) and said its ugly compared to slick vista. (i dont have a mac, but i think mac's look pretty )

My wife took one look at Vista and said, "like hell am I giving Microsoft money for that", and bought an Ubuntu Dell after using Ubuntu on our desktop.

Like the man said, install and configure the drivers.

zakany
February 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Obviously none of you configured the graphics properly.

That helps hold Linux back.

You shouldn't have to "configure" anything.

Vorian Grey
February 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM

You have to configure stuff even on Windows.

airjaw
February 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yea gee I can think of many things. The problem is, Linux is the way it is becuase its NOT mainstream. Its a tool for hackers and programmers. once you start dumbing it down for the general population (ie. mainstream) you risk changing the essence of what linux is.

Anyways, I think this is the direction Ubuntu is going and I'm OK with it. I don't think its "ruining" linux. The problem is that Ubuntu (and linux in general) still faces problems not entirely related to ubuntu, such as sound, video, graphic, and wireless issues, as well as a lack of software vendors.

-Make ubuntu look great out of the box. (better fonts, better colors, better background)
-Fix all Wireless card, sound (pulseaudio etc), firefox (slower than in Winxp and crashes often), and graphics issues.

Most ppl just want to use the browser (fix firefox), connect to the internet (fix wireless), watch videos and adjust resolution (fix graphics), and listen to music (fix pulseaudio / whatever else )

Until Linux gets these things right, I can't in good conscience recommend it to any of my friends or family.

BigSilly
February 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Every OS requires some configuring. I must be lucky, since all I do with Linux is add the codecs, a new theme, and some games and I'm happy.

To say it should come without any configuring is silly. No OS is going to suit everyone out of the box.

deepclutch
February 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Can anyone think of a way to get Ubuntu/Linux more mainstream?
By -enforcement of freedom(FOSS) . :) in Goverment institutions as a first step making the mass depends on GNU/Linux softwares and applications.
No.Still someone who want to buy window$-let him/her do that.but FOSS needs enforcement even if the very element freedom seems affected by the word "enforcement".

WatchingThePain
February 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Cmon, when I installed Vista there was loads of stuff that I shouldn't have had to configure.
It's expected on any OS, unless your pc has some kind of A.I. that makes it self aware and able to fix itself.
Granted there may be more configuration on Linux but you have to pay for Windows with money whereas on Linux I suppose you pay with time so there's no such thing as a free OS.

Name change
February 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
By the best tactic yet: "sit and wait".
Seriously as some mentioned before the pure "attrition" will win at last.
But on a different note I don't think that Linux is ready yet for wide desktop use. Not when most users are like mac users. They don't care about computer as long as it works...
Among DEs I feel that KDE will be the desktop of the "desktop Linux" as it looks great it's powerful it gives lots of options and it's still not hard to configure.
And the use philosophy is similar to that of the Windows.
Anyway I can't wait for the future when more innovative things will come.
And among them it should be less terminal work (which is still the most important thing in Linux, yes it's really a plus for Linux, but normal users don't go for that) and a better support for Windows apps.
I feel that the second could be achieved by Wine and Linux Unified Kernel, even though how good it will be, just the "road map" gets me excited :D...:guitar:

zakany
February 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Every OS requires some configuring. I must be lucky, since all I do with Linux is add the codecs, a new theme, and some games and I'm happy.

We were talking about what it looks like. Its default interface, in someone's opinion, isn't as polished as that of OS X or Vista. The rebuttal was that he didn't fiddle with it properly.

My point is that is the issue - having to fiddle with a fresh install to make it look right.

Good enough isn't good enough.

WatchingThePain
February 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I don't think that Linux is ready yet for wide desktop use. Not when most users are like mac users.

Most users? Since when?. Unless there's been a shift in the time/space continuum most people use Windows. Anyway I reckon mac is like a kind of candy coated linux since it branched off bsd or something like that.

Name change
February 27th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Most users? Since when?. Unless there's been a shift in the time/space continuum most people use Windows. Anyway I reckon mac is like a kind of candy coated linux since it branched off bsd or something like that.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I used wrong words :D.
I meant in how they think. And while many Windows users think for them selves. I have a feeling that a MAC style of thought is on a rise meaning that most users don't care what's in their computer as long as they can get to their My Space, Facebook or YouTube accounts.
And Linux can't completely satisfy that kind of user. Not with WiFi problems, strange flash support (it works or not in Konqueror, and it's even worse if you use any "free" version of it like Gnash)...
And if it does work like in Asus EEE they really don't know and care.
So if there will be a revolution it will be a silent one. One day people will realise that they all use Linux. And that they thought they still use Windows... :D
I hope I clarified any misunderstanding.
But I don't think that this will happen soon, as where there are increasing size of what I decided to call "MAC" users (whether they use MAC or not) there are still other kind of users which care about OS and everything else.
While I see a big chance that Linux gets some of "MAC" users (again I mean those users that don't know anything about computer, they just want that it looks nice). But until Linux finds a good way of supporting every mainstream game; Linux won't get one of biggest group there is: gamers.

OK I decided to take this to the next level:

I'll group users in groups sketch the average user of the group and written how much can Linux get them...

MAC user: Doesn't care what is computer just that it works and looks nice.
It's a big possibility to get them to Linux. (maybe even somewhere to 60-70%)
Gamer: Knows his / hers computer to the last bit, knows what it needs to get the best experience out of it. probability of getting them to Linux 0%
A Professional user: I can't say (as I live on bleeding edge) but I feel that it could be done if some more specific apps are ported to Linux and that the newest apps are stable and that the LST don't brake the system as it happened in past there is a chance to get them on board.
A Computer geek: Most of them already use Linux or at least knows what it is.
A MAC zealot: No chance to get them to use Linux. If it's no Apple logo on it then it suxs.

I hope that this entertains someone and that it will show my view of things to come.
You're free to comment and criticize this overview.

WatchingThePain
February 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I hear ya,

I believe that things will actually become easier for what you call 'mac users'. As components become cheaper, embedded systems will be a big part of the future 'push button world'.

I like the way you look to the future and I could write loads on this.
Think of disposable systems (no not Windows lol).
Your 'Mac users' will never be able to use Linux unless Linux becomes Windows or something easier.

People throw away mobile phones now, would they have done that in the 80's when cell phones were so expensive?.

People who get right into Linux are technical and computer enthusiasts.
As well I think we should all remember what computers are:Tools to help people, hence there should always be an OS to serve everyone from Forest Gump To Einstein.

Lunx
February 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Get Steve Ballmer to join Canonical? :wink:

Name change
February 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Get Steve Ballmer to join Canonical? :wink:
And what would he tell us?
DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS,... ad nauseam...
Or maybe:
I LOVE THIS COMPANY, OS WHATEVER...

but if not for anything else it would be nice for comic effect :D

Lunx
February 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
but if not for anything else it would be nice for comic effect :D

I just think it would be brilliant to hear him say "Linux is not ******* ya know?"

notarikon
March 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Try to convince all your local internet cafes to run Ubuntu rather than Windows. Then when the users finally buy their own computers, they'll be more likely to use a familiar OS.

You could easily market it to the cafes (who then market it to the users) that it is not only cheaper, but more secure for browsing, banking & emailing.

Either that or open your own internet cafe :)

Just a thought.

Name change
March 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Try to convince all your local internet cafes to run Ubuntu rather than Windows. Then when the users finally buy their own computers, they'll be more likely to use a familiar OS.

You could easily market it to the cafes (who then market it to the users) that it is not only cheaper, but more secure for browsing, banking & emailing.

Either that or open your own internet cafe :)

Just a thought.
Not for banking, as many banks use a special software that needs Windows to run it.
And please don't install Ubuntu in interent caffes. The look of Gnome is laughable at best, and Ubuntus way of doing it is even worse (brown).
If anything install a good KDE distro (obviously not Kubuntu)
And even that I don't feel is the right thing.
If users want to use Ubuntu or any other Linux they will if not they won't it's that simple...

zeroemissions
March 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I don't agree that the look of Gnome is laughable, It is highly customisable. You can make it look however you like it to look, even shiny and plastic looking like vista (if that's your kink)

I think the best way to get Linux out there is to make it more accessible. It has to be more compatible with business apps and games.

It's a catch 22. The reason its not highly popular is because it is made for free. It is underdeveloped (GUI side of things anyway) and has had nothing spent on its production compared to windows. If it were to be more popular it would have to have to compete with the marketing and such of micro$oft. To gain the corporate support of say gaming developers or corporate software developers it would have to go against its own philosophy.

Linux is great just how it is. It has been steadily growing in popularity and is becoming more refined and usable with each release (so I understand anyway). It is even available pre-installed on micro laptops like Eeepc's. The future of Linux is strong and bright, no need to rush things IMO.

scratman
March 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
On a hugely illegal basis, could you write a piece of software that will provide huge improvements to Windows XP/Vista, which, when run, simply ran the Wubi software, and therefore left people with a much better version of Windows!?!?

Can you imagine the looks on the faces as MS tech support?!?!

Name change
March 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
On a hugely illegal basis, could you write a piece of software that will provide huge improvements to Windows XP/Vista, which, when run, simply ran the Wubi software, and therefore left people with a much better version of Windows!?!?

Can you imagine the looks on the faces as MS tech support?!?!
I can't get out of my skin :D
If that would meant that they would get the look of Ubuntu I don't think most would agree that it looks good. And the errors, bugs and mishaps would still endure. So on the end the experience wouldn't be so much better.
It would be different that instead of BSoD you would get a CLI or kernel panic (did anyone got it? I did when trying to run OpenSuSE LiveCD :D).
And this would only work if it would look like this:

This was originally uploaded on Ubuntu Slovenia Forums, and I had to admit that Gnome looks really nice in this screenshot :D.

ArtF10
March 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
...This was originally uploaded on Ubuntu Slovenia Forums, and I had to admit that Gnome looks really nice in this screenshot :D.

That terminal on the desktop will make people scared.

Apocalypsed
March 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
I personally believe it should be used in school or libraries to limit the users use of computers for research purposes. All that the user needs in K-12 Systems and Libraries are a web-browser, printer and Adobe Reader.

In addition, it reduces the chance of the computer getting a virus, or malware.

Personally, no one gives a damn about the theme when conducting research.

Another idea is have Ubuntu focus on a major important application. For example, Mac has the image of arts (Photoshop, video-editing, music studio packages), Microsoft has more of functionality image (MINITAB, VisualBasic Packages, Programming-even though some programmers prefer MACs, and Engineering Applications).

I really feel Ubuntu/Linux should focus on creating a powerful application that is only best suited if used by Linux/Ubuntu

I guess I took this thread too seriously,

Hilko
March 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
Another idea is have Ubuntu focus on a major important application. For example, Mac has the image of arts (Photoshop, video-editing, music studio packages), Microsoft has more of functionality image (MINITAB, VisualBasic Packages, Programming-even though some programmers prefer MACs, and Engineering Applications).

I really feel Ubuntu/Linux should focus on creating a powerful application that is only best suited if used by Linux/Ubuntu

The focus of Linux is programming. It's made by developers, for developers. That's why development apps are best developed. :p

Starlight
March 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Nobody commenting on this? Personally if tomorrow ubuntu became the world's º1 OS I would go running to something more underground. In fact, in some circles ubuntu is already considered the "easy", "newbie" distro, for people not hardcore enough to install arch, or something. Oh well - the point is, now, for me, ubuntu fits my needs rather well.

Before dogmatically pushing it, we should analyse the reasons we have for wanting linux to become popular in the first place.

In my opinion, there are two ways in which getting popular would make Linux better. :)

First, more people using Linux would mean more companies releasing Linux version of their software.

Second, more people using Linux would mean more people who can somehow contribute to improving existing open source software.

So that's why I think that getting Linux more mainstream would be a great thing.:)

Hilko
March 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
In my opinion, there are two ways in which getting popular would make Linux better. :)

First, more people using Linux would mean more companies releasing Linux version of their software.

Second, more people using Linux would mean more people who can somehow contribute to improving existing open source software.

So that's why I think that getting Linux more mainstream would be a great thing.:)

Absolutely!

Ubuntu needs marketing !