PDA

View Full Version : So what happened to Ubuntu's new interface?

Yarbles
February 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
I think that is the right word. I looked around on the forums but couldn't find anything related to it. Wasn't Ubuntu suppose to get a new look? What happened? I was looking forward to that...

Skripka
February 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
I think that is the right word. I looked around on the forums but couldn't find anything related to it. Wasn't Ubuntu suppose to get a new look? What happened? I was looking forward to that...

Ubuntu/Gnome was supposed to get a new looks 4 or 5 versions ago as I recall....now they are saying 9.10 before it happens.

smartboyathome
February 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Part of the problem (which people don't seem to get) was that Canonical didn't like what the community had to offer, so they put together an official Art team. The Art team is being trained now, but it took them a while to put it together.

steveneddy
February 23rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Anywhere we can go to see any progress on the new artwork?

timberjack
February 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Kde4 is what happened :lolflag:

zekopeko
February 23rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
i think that a far more realistic guideline would be Gnome 3.0. they (gnome people :)) are planning to rework theming for Gnome. so 10.04 at the earliest for some ground breaking stuff. of course it may happen that they integrete that work even before that time. i think that ubuntu is going to get refined a little in the next 2 release. probably a new icon theme before Gnome 3.0.

Merk42
February 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
The status is consistent, it's always "next release"

SunnyRabbiera
February 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yeh currently it seems the only thing with real direction when it comes to a better interface is KDE4.

chucky chuckaluck
February 23rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
ubuntu shouldn't sweat something that can be changed so instantly.

Bart_D
February 23rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
Peer/user pressure.

Fedora 10 is streets ahead in terms of looks.

_noob_
February 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
It really is no big deal. Why do people make such a big deal out of it?

smartboyathome
February 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
It hasn't really been promised since 8.10, yet people still think that it is being done. 8.10 came and went, and they didn't like the stuff that was available (either buggy or didn't look ubuntu-y to them), so they created the Art team.

Faolan84
February 23rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Perhaps they should just how a contest of multiple websites like Ubuntu-look.org, ubuntuforums.org, and several of the other ubuntu themes websites. Makes sure the news gets Slashdotted and they'll have themes pouring in up to their ears.

ArtF10
February 23rd, 2009, 04:06 AM
Peer/user pressure.

Hehe, well, 8.10 had a new theme so people may start expecting more and more from future releases.

SunnyRabbiera
February 23rd, 2009, 04:06 AM

Well ubuntu is targeted at new users, users who come from something colorful like Vista or OSX.
I feel we need a look that will make us stand out from the others, something both contemporary yet friendly.

smartboyathome
February 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Perhaps they should just how a contest of multiple websites like Ubuntu-look.org, ubuntuforums.org, and several of the other ubuntu themes websites. Makes sure the news gets Slashdotted and they'll have themes pouring in up to their ears.

Most of those themes will just be combinations of different themes on gnome-look.org. ;)

I don't think that the quality of themes is up to what Canonical wanted, so that is why they hired the Art team. I respect them for that.

Skripka
February 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Well ubuntu is targeted at new users, users who come from something colorful like Vista or OSX.
I feel we need a look that will make us stand out from the others, something both contemporary yet friendly.

But it still should represent/have commonality with the Ubuntu brand -which is the catch.

Yarbles
February 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
I remember sometime ago someone started a thread where the community sort of editted and made suggestions for this person's theme. I thought the theme was totally awesome and was rooting for it. I'm surprised they didn't like ANYTHING that came out of the community. Little insulting if you ask me...:D

Faolan84
February 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Some people just can't be satisfied. Maybe they were looking at it from a corporate perspective. Throw good money down the toilet. But to be fair sometimes it does sound like a good idea at the time.

hanzomon4
February 24th, 2009, 02:08 AM

Because it is....

Yarbles
February 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
So are we ever going to get a glimpse at what this art team is doing?

wolfen69
February 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Peer/user pressure.

and way behind in stability.

TBOL3
February 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I agree on both. I really just wish there was a distro that was 'just right'. Yes, I could make my own, but I'm looking more along the lines of a general distro that everyone could use.

swoll1980
February 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I agree on both. I really just wish there was a distro that was 'just right'. Yes, I could make my own, but I'm looking more along the lines of a general distro that everyone could use.

Just right is subjective. What's just right for you, could be horribly wrong for someone else. Some people love KDE 4, I think it's a monstrosity

JECHO
February 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
haha who knows

Redache
February 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
It'll happen when it happens. If the new Desktop Theme is even close to the high standard of the Netbook Design ideas they have then the Desktop Theme should be fairly awesome.

Rokurosv
February 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I think they should just make Dust the new interface :D

Sashin
February 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Has anyone seen the new login screen in Alpha 5?

It looks awesome. Now if only there was a version with a face browser...

I'm not sure how to take a screenshot of it but it's black, with red, orange and yellow. No Brown.

I hope they theme all of Ubuntu like this by Karmic.

NTolerance
February 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I think they should just make Dust the new interface :D

Agreed, Dust is exceptional. Dust is:

1. Original. No Vista or OSX elements to be found.
2. Small. It uses small screens efficiently unlike most Gnome themes.
3. Subtle. No cartoon widgets or pastel colors.
4. Neutral. Its colors can work with just about any icon theme unlike the default Human theme.

linuxisevolution
February 28th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Do you mean like this?

wolfen69
February 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Do you mean like this?

god, i miss those days. :confused:

linuxisevolution
February 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM
god, i miss those days. :confused:

That's not the worst...

inobe
February 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM
many desktop environments are out there, we can take our pick' or customize anyone of them to look exactly the same as the others swiftly !

or' canonical can design their own desktop environment..... or use gnome and let them theme it .........

personally' i just want them to get the buttons and icons fixed to represent ubuntu and not gnome' the garbage can has to go .

the very first thing i do is search for icons, if they could have more choices' that would be sweet:P

the folders and window looks great in 8.10

these days the hardware is exceptional, 9xxx series video cards with a gig of vram, they can throw all the affects at me' i promise i will enable every theme and affect they have.

one person commented about win-dows users' and the ui's they are used to !

my opinion' they want something new to look at along with the ability to customize what they have to look on a daily basis, those average users are busy deleting viruses and running defrag every five minutes because 2% of their disk is fragmented lol's, these folks will need something to do, keep em busy :lolflag:

Yarbles
February 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hm, if I found the right theme, Dust looks a lot like the Ubuntu Studio theme which is already gorgeous. Seems like it might take less development time if they just borrowed that theme....

NTolerance
February 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hm, if I found the right theme, Dust looks a lot like the Ubuntu Studio theme which is already gorgeous. Seems like it might take less development time if they just borrowed that theme....

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/DustTheme

The extras package with the alternate color schemes is truly great.

Yarbles
February 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I'm not too excited about that.... I was hoping for something more than a palette swap and a few nifty icons.

Yashiro
February 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Black for a default theme is a terrible idea.

3rdalbum
February 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
There's a plastic-glossy orange and white theme called "White?" that I got from Gnome-look.org. It is very excellent; it's orange, but very attractive.

ikisham
February 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hardy's theme IS beautiful, almost a classic.
Of course we want something updated but just as integrated as that.

forrestcupp
February 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I wonder if it's going to make Canonical mad when they invest so much in art, then 80% of the people just install it and change the theme right away.

If they're smart, they'll have several professional themes to choose from.

Name change
February 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I as an KDE4.2 user must agree with one that said that if you want a nice looking (and powerful) DE KDE is the right thing :D.
I also believe that Gnome can be made beautiful with a lot of tweaking and probably addition of E17 as an WM.
I'm still not sure is Ubuntu a community distro or is it provided by Canonical. If the first is true then community should take the initiative and make a nice look.
But to my KDE-adapted eyes no matter what you do to Gnome it will still look bad and wrong.
And I oppose the integration of awn or any other dock in Ubuntu by default.
Ubuntu != free mac. Or free Windows for that matter.
I saw few mock-ups of Gnome3 and all can I say interesting, even though I (again as an KDE user) feel that KDE will still be light-years ahead of any open-source competition. And I also hope that when KDE4.3 comes it will also surpass the look and feel of Windows7 which is quite possible as it's really near it (just few tweaks and it'll be better). And that someday KDE won't need to "copy" Windows nor MAC but rather it will be other way around.
That's my hope for a new (K)Ubuntu interface.
I can't really say anything for Ubuntu interface just that I really hope that it will get better as it needs to. It has to get as nice as Fedora (and even their Gnome isn't the nicest looking :D)

inobe
March 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hardy's theme IS beautiful, almost a classic.
Of course we want something updated but just as integrated as that.

that is cool

notice the menu button' it flat looking, the panel bar is gnome, we know gnome as primer !

it's the stuff we put on walls before we paint, it's a sturdy base that assures the paint won't peel after so many years, paint adheres to it ......

2d flat primer has to go regardless of overlapping shades of paint..

it's a gui set for onboard legacy graphics that considered obsolete anyway .....