PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this laptop?

TheOrangePeanut
February 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=SMJKIMM4UVER5KC4D3EFAGA?sku Id=9172851&type=product&id=1218044029604

I'm interested in buying a laptop and I'm having trouble finding a laptop with similar specs at a similar price. The things I like about this laptop are:

Core 2 Duo CPU
4 Gigs of ram (gonna need it cause I wanna have XP or vista in a VirtualBox for work)
14.1 inch (15.4 is too big for me)
Nvidia video card (not open like ati or intel, but their drivers are typically better quality anyway)
I ASSUME an Intel wireless card since it is a Centrino platform... can anyone confirm this? It seems this laptop is only sold by bestbuy since I can't find any information in it on the internet.

Anyone see any problems with it, or maybe where I could find a similar spec'ed machine about the same price?

Redache
February 22nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
That looks like a fairly decent laptop and a good price for the specs. The only thing you have to remember is that Video card will probably TurboCache(Or is it Hyper Memory?) where it takes RAM and adds it to the Video Card.

I have a Dell Studio 15 which isn't that different to that Laptop and the ATI Card can take up to a gig of System Ram and add it to itself (I think that this could have more to do with Vista/Drivers than an actual design issue).

The wireless does appear to be Intel as it's a PM45 Chipset and doesn't mention any other brands by name.

I'd say give it a whirl, it's a steal at that price.

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Buy a good laptop from System76.

http://www.system76.com/

binbash
February 22nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Nice one but asus' touchpads suck

TheOrangePeanut
February 23rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
I guess it will be the Asus. I've used the pad in the store and it works well enough. I intend to use a mouse when I'm near my computer desk at work or my house anyway. System76 sucks; way too expensive for the specs, even though they don't have to pay for a Windows license. I don't know how they get any business.

guitar_man
February 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
I think its a good laptop.All the hardware that are necessary were included.I like the fact that it has the Nvidia card