PDA

View Full Version : My son wanted Ubuntu on his new laptop

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 22nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
My son asked me yesterday what hardware works with Linux. So, I told him what hardware I would personally avoid if possible. I also told him that he could work around most hardware issues; however, it is preferable to have everything just work.

To my surprise, later that day he asked me how to install Ubuntu on his new HP laptop.

I told him how to shrink Vista Premium's partition; however, I let him do it himself. He wanted to shrink Vista's partition to the minimum; but, I talked him out of it. In my openion, he really needed to experience Linux before making such a decision. I already had a bootable 8.10 USB stick (they are great to have). I told him how to boot from the USB, then left him on his own. He had some hesitation when it came to the install in unused partition space part; but, I talked him through that. Previously, I had him make sure he had the Vista recovery disk before he attempted this; therefore, he wasn't going to loose anything. After Ubuntu was installed I copied the "Ubuntu Pocket Guide" to his desktop.

Whew, everything worked out-of-the-box on his computer. :D

I have had to teach him a few things about using the terminal; such as, changing permissions on files he wanted to copy from another computer. However, he has not needed the CLI for very much because everything just worked. Having to teach him about permissions, owners, groups, etc. helped him to understand how Linux has some built in security features.

I'm waiting to see if he will continue using Ubuntu. Vista is still sitting there on it's partition in an unused state. :)

I am also jealous because his computer is newer, faster, has more memory and disk space than mine. :(

My wife's eeePC is already converted from XP to Eeebuntu; because the Windows patches caused the eeePC to run out of Solid State Disk space. It is not that I preach Ubuntu to my family. They just see me use it, and what it can do. They are discovering for themselves that it works for them.

davec64
February 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Naturally as head of the family, I think it's your duty to "borrow" your sons laptop just to run it for a few months just to ensure hardware compatibility!!
If he buys that do you think I could borrow it after you?!?! :)

Seriously it's nice to hear about a positive experience, it says a lot about Ubuntu when you don't have to preach it's virtues!

DeadRobot
February 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Haha, thats cool.

I'm 16 and my parents (in their 40s) grew up without computers so they are completely retarded when it comes to using them nowadays. My dad is obsessed with not getting viruses. Like one day he was complaining about how he didn't like IE so I installed Firefox for him and he got so freaked out. "WHY IS THERE A DOG ON FIRE?? ITS A VIRUS, DELETE IT!! DONT FALL FOR THE TRAP!".

I told him how it was extremely rare to get a virus on Linux but he thinks the whole operating system is just a virus in disguise. lol.

I guess being cautious can help but I think its a little overboard.

Anyways, I wish my parents were as computer-savvy as you.

BuffaloX
February 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I started to use Linux because my wife used/use it,
I had tried it a couple of years earlier with little success,
But when my wife found Ubuntu and started using it, I could see how it had become much better.

xpod
February 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
But when my wife found Ubuntu and started using it, I could see how it had become much better.

We also use Ubuntu now because of my wife,kinda...
We flipped a coin some 3 years ago now to see who would take the job of learning how to use a computer(children+computers+internet=terror) and she lost.I Stumbled across Ubuntu some 4 months later and we`ve all used Linux(mainly *buntu) happily ever after.:p

BuffaloX
February 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
@xpod

Haha I see it's even around the same time. :p

So winning meant getting the job of learning about computers?
Some would consider that losing. :p

Dr Small
February 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Be sure to mention to him that there is a very large community of Linux enthusists running Ubuntu where he can meet other Linux users, learn more about it and ask for help if he needs any :D

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Sweet!

kmacphail
February 22nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have just started in my Linux life, I installed Ubuntu about 8 months ago. However I have also managed to convince the wife to install Ubuntu on her laptop. To my total surprise, please bear in mind she is a complete computer novice, she loved Ubuntu and took XP completely off her computer. She is now talking to her clients (she's a hairdresser), trying to convince them to convert to Ubuntu, it amazes me how so called computer experts have never even heard of Ubuntu, far less tried it. We are converting the Western Isles PC by PC. She is convincing people that if all they need is browsing the net, downloading and using a word processor, Ubuntu is the better option than XP.

Long live Tux!!!

marco123
February 22nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
My daughter didn't have a choice. (She's 10.)

I installed 8.10 connected it to our wireless network and don't have to worry about her installing viruses etc...

It's a nice "peace of mind" feeling that she is safe online with Firefox + noscript + adblock plus. I removed pidgin and set up shortcuts for everything she needs on the panel. (F-Spot, OOo Writer, Firefox and Rhythmbox.):D

EDIT: Also she now can use 2 OS. She has to use Windows in school and I've taught her how to use Ubuntu at home.

xpod
February 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
So winning meant getting the job of learning about computers?
Some would consider that losing.

Your quite right,i was rather dismayed at first.That dismay even grew to mind bending anger for much of the initial few months but it was a strangely addicting anger...and that was before Ubuntu.
Angers long gone of course but the addiction is through the roof.:p

I have just started in my Linux life

Nice to see someone from Lewis.
I have a few friends back home in Edinburgh from Stornoway.Not seen them for a few years now though.
We used to joke there were more folks from Stornoway down in Edinburgh(and Glasgow) than what there were back in Stornoway. :p

it amazes me how so called computer experts have never even heard of Ubuntu, far less tried it. We are converting the Western Isles PC by PC.

It amazes me how little some seem to know about Windows never mind Ubuntu:p

kmacphail
February 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
We used to joke there were more folks from Stornoway down in Edinburgh(and Glasgow) than what there were back in Stornoway. :p

I lived in Edinburgh for four years, and I only ever met two people from Stornoway. But in Glasgow I could not walk down the street without meeting one person from home that I knew.

It's good to hear of another Scottish person on this site, so far I have not met that many.

Anyway it is our job to make converts of the Scottish folks. Mind you Ubuntu may have an excellent chance in Scotland, given we have a reputation for being mean then you don't get any cheaper than free.

Slainte mhath

deltaiscain
February 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Nice! I'm 16 myself and have just installed Ubuntu and I love it! Used OSX and windows before, but I like this better. Have to learn how to program though, would love to be able to do that. Fortunately I am taking computers next year, so I'll learn all about it. Can't wait!

gn2
February 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
It's good to hear of another Scottish person on this site, so far I have not met that many.

You just met another :)

I had my honeymoon on Lewis, stunning place, loved it, keep meaning to go back, but never had the time.

@oldgray, I had a similar experience when my son (14 at the time) asked me to install PCLinuxOS on his laptop.
Since then he has also used Linux Mint but has settled on Ubuntu now.

ibuclaw
February 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
My youngest brother of 10 uses the Acer Aspire One with Linpus installed on it. It's great because my family and his friends use it too if they have nothing else better to do/want to get some shopping done. :)

He wants to use UbuntuEee (Now known as EasyPeasy), but I've not allowed him to for the moment.
I'll teach him the basics first, and when he becomes competent, I'll install it for him and let him administer/play at his own accord.

Ms_Angel_D
February 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I lived in Edinburgh for four years, and I only ever met two people from Stornoway. But in Glasgow I could not walk down the street without meeting one person from home that I knew.

Anyway it is our job to make converts of the Scottish folks. Mind you Ubuntu may have an excellent chance in Scotland, given we have a reputation for being mean then you don't get any cheaper than free.

Slainte mhath

My Husband is scottish he was born in glasgow ;) He's lived in the states for quite sometime and as such no longer has an accent (his father was U.S. Navy) but when he and I first got together I could have a difficult time understanding his mother sometimes but 6 yrs later it's not a problem any more..lol

jimi_hendrix
February 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
I have had to teach him a few things about using the terminal; such as, changing permissions on files he wanted to copy from another computer. However, he has not needed the CLI for very much because everything just worked. Having to teach him about permissions, owners, groups, etc. helped him to understand how Linux has some built in security features.

if he was competent enough to figure the other stuff out then CLI should be no problem (make sure he knows man, ls, and cd are then let him be)...in ~2 weeks i was fluent with CLI

jimi_hendrix
February 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Have to learn how to program though, would love to be able to do that.

not that hard...stop by the programming-talk forum or #ubuntu-programming on irc.freenode.net

most recommend python for beginners but i personally hate python </OT>

Sealbhach
February 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Have to learn how to program though, would love to be able to do that.

There's a really nice project called Shoes, which teaches you the basics about the Ruby language. Would recommend it:

http://shoooes.net/

deltaiscain
February 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
not that hard...stop by the programming-talk forum or #ubuntu-programming on irc.freenode.net

most recommend python for beginners but i personally hate python </OT>

There's a really nice project called Shoes, which teaches you the basics about the Ruby language. Would recommend it:

http://shoooes.net/

Thanks! will look at it and start learning! :)

Thirtysixway
February 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
My sister wants a laptop and I tried to get her one with Ubuntu, but she was upset over the fact she wouldn't have microsoft office. so I guess she's getting Vista.

macogw
February 25th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Haha, thats cool.

I'm 16 and my parents (in their 40s) grew up without computers so they are completely retarded when it comes to using them nowadays. My dad is obsessed with not getting viruses. Like one day he was complaining about how he didn't like IE so I installed Firefox for him and he got so freaked out. "WHY IS THERE A DOG ON FIRE?? ITS A VIRUS, DELETE IT!! DONT FALL FOR THE TRAP!".

I told him how it was extremely rare to get a virus on Linux but he thinks the whole operating system is just a virus in disguise. lol.

I guess being cautious can help but I think its a little overboard.

First thing my mom asked when I told her I was done installing Linux on her computer was "did you install anti-virus?" She was stunned when I said it didn't need it. She now brags about how fast, easy, and secure Linux is to other middle-aged people.

macogw
February 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM
My sister wants a laptop and I tried to get her one with Ubuntu, but she was upset over the fact she wouldn't have microsoft office. so I guess she's getting Vista.

My sister did the same thing. And yeah, Vista. I told her she can call someone else for tech support.

Oddly, she was the one that said "I want a Linux computer when I go to college" after playing with mine. That made me ask her twin if he wanted one too. After he said yes, I checked with mom that she hadn't actually figured Windows out yet and wouldn't notice things moving around, then switched her computer to Ubuntu so they'd get practice with it before going to college. As I just said, my mom is now a Linux evangelist for middle-aged people.

RichardLinx
February 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That's pretty cool that your son has taken an interst in Ubuntu. You should give him an INX live CD so that he can learn more about Ubuntu/Linux. INX 1.1 was recently released and I gave it a try and was quite impressed. It will teach your son (and most other people for that matter) a lot about Linux and Ubuntu since INX is based on Ubuntu. :)

If your interested: http://inx.maincontent.net/
http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

deltaiscain
February 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Can't you install microsoft office and run it in wine?

RichardLinx
February 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Can't you install microsoft office and run it in wine?

You could but it wouldn't run to well.

kmacphail
February 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM

I think you should give her a lend of a PC with Open Office 3 for a few weeks and see if that chances her mind, it's worth a try.

sonu 1807
February 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Office can be installed in Ubuntu/Kubuntu Hardy. I am using it myself

Bart_D
February 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
If only the status of Crossover Office was higher than Bronze.....

Office 2003 is Silver, so atleast they're making progress. It's going to be a long time though.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/group/?app_parent=1911;

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Update to original post.

It is a week later, and my son is still using Ubuntu. Hasn't booted into Vista yet.

He has used tutorials found on this forum to get his DVDs to play, and so on. He does his own problem solving. That makes me feel a little useless though. :D

I think I am going to be a proud father of a soon to be Linux Geek. I am waiting to see what other distros he will try.

:lolflag:

He really likes having a computer that does what he wants it to do. He has discovered freedom!

odda
March 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Does Office come preinstalled with Vista?

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Does Office come preinstalled with Vista?

No! It is an extra cost.

my window broke
March 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Office is kinda starting to become platform independent, (at least for Mac users). Wonder if they will ever release a Linux version...

Still, openoffice should do everything that the average user needs, and then some.

ELD
March 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
My dad always complains about viruses, spyware and all the crap. One day i will turn him to the linux camp :), god bless live cds :D

JackieChan
March 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
That was a really interesting story. How old is your son?

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 8th, 2009, 10:57 PM
That was a really interesting story. How old is your son?

When it comes to computers, I really don't think age matters very much. I was using computers in the 1970's. I worked for NASA before the first Space Shuttle was launched. OK, I'm an old person.

My children chose to go into the medical profession; therefore, they are not necessarily technically astute. They know enough about computers to perform their duties as nurses, emergency medial technicians, and pharmacists.

I have grandchildren that are almost teenagers. They use any OS that is available to them, and don't care what it is.

I am just enjoying watching my 30+ year old son explore the freedom of using something other than Microsoft products.

;)

JackieChan
March 8th, 2009, 11:47 PM
When it comes to computers, I really don't think age matters very much. I was using computers in the 1970's. I worked for NASA before the first Space Shuttle was launched. OK, I'm an old person.

My children chose to go into the medical profession; therefore, they are not necessarily technically astute. They know enough about computers to perform their duties as nurses, emergency medial technicians, and pharmacists.

I have grandchildren that are almost teenagers. They use any OS that is available to them, and don't care what it is.

I am just enjoying watching my 30+ year old son explore the freedom of using something other than Microsoft products.

;)
Oh, I thought your son was a preteen or an early teen. They usually aren't very willing to try out new OSes. I was wondering why he was so willing to have Linux take over his hardware. I'm surrounded by family members that are in their early teens, and they really have a tough time using Ubuntu because it's very unfamiliar to them.

I'm glad your family is exploring different operating systems. A lot of families, such as my own, aren't so willing. :(

PhoHammer
March 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM

Yeah, my dad can't even spell computer. I had to explain to him what facebook is the other day and I don't think he ever really understood.

My brother has been wanting me to help install xubuntu on his Acer Aspire One for about a week now. We've made a little headway (I told him about unetbootin) but he lives in a different state so it's a bit hard...

barbedsaber
March 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM
damn, I want to click that thank button, but it's still gone.