PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Differences between packages "ubuntu-mid" and "ubuntu-mobile"?

computer_freak_8
February 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure if I selected the proper sub-forum, but I think this would be it.

All I really need to know is what the differentiating features are between the two packages in the title of this thread.

I did an Ubuntu Package Search, and was met with two nearly identical descriptions:

This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu MID system

It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that it not be removed.

This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu mobile system

It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that it not be removed.

My guess is that it is just a difference of a few key packages, but I don't know what these are. I can see them, but I don't know enough about them to really be able to tell what the differences between the two meta-packages would be once everything was all together.

computer_freak_8
February 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Bump-bump-please?

computer_freak_8
February 26th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Anyone? Even if you just give me a link for me to read for myself, that would be fine. (Bump.)

computer_freak_8
February 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Bump, please?

computer_freak_8
March 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Anyone?

computer_freak_8
March 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Any guidance would be appreciated. It is a pain to have to setup the proxy every time I boot. (I'm using Back Track 3 until I find out what I need to install to get Ubuntu functional.)

computer_freak_8
March 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Seriously, does anyone have any idea here? I need to have my computer operational by tomorrow morning.

computer_freak_8
March 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Well, I just had to install them both. I tried just installing the "ubuntu-mid" package, but I still didn't have a GUI. So, I installed the "ubuntu-mobile" package, too. Then I had a GUI.

Note: I originally installed the base, CLI-only Ubuntu system from the alternate CD.

It would still be really nice to know what the differences between these two packages are, though. Obviously, one difference is the inclusion of the GUI, but I really don't know about anything further than that.

metalhead0010
March 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM
You shouldn't of needed either of them, they're for "mobile Internet devices" AKA iPod touches iPhones and stuff like that

computer_freak_8
March 8th, 2009, 02:42 AM
You shouldn't of needed either of them, they're for "mobile Internet devices" AKA iPod touches iPhones and stuff like that
Thanks for the response! Do you know what the differences are between them?

I installed them on my Eee PC. I'd heard about the MID version of Ubuntu, and have wanted to try it out for a while. I plan to add a touchscreen to my Eee PC in the future; I was glad to see plenty of touchscreen utilities once I fired up the desktop.

metalhead0010
March 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Actually I think I was wrong. I think ubuntu mobile is for laptops, if not then probably just different software installed. I'm not sure, I'll look it up on cononicals website, but another reason might be because one of them is made by canonical and one isn't. I'm not sure about any of these answers but I'll get back to you.

metalhead0010
March 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Ubuntu MID is made by canonical and mobile is made by some other company.

computer_freak_8
March 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Okay, thanks. Do you know the differences in the features that each provides?

roblloyd
March 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
From what I've read the two are almost identical. the name was changed from mobile to mid in order for prople to understand that this wasnt ubuntu for your movile phone but devices such as the nokia 7700. take a look at moblin.org

Maheriano
April 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So this would install on an iPod touch? What about a carPC running a Via Epia M10000 motherboard with integrated CPU?

computer_freak_8
April 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
So this would install on an iPod touch? What about a carPC running a Via Epia M10000 motherboard with integrated CPU?
Not for the iPod Touch - I don't think so, anyways. If it would work, you would need to use the one designed for the Babbage board, here (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/9.04/release/) of the releases for it. However, I have no idea how you would go install it or anything.

As for the Via Epia M10000, I don't see why not (the 32-bit/x86 version - on the main download page (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)). Via products are designed to be x86 compatible.