PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How does the *buntu system update?

ESF
February 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hello, I'm an average user of kubuntu and ubuntu studio and I have just got mobile.

I have just wondered how does my ubuntu system knows when do I have updates to install and how many (without me doing an apt-get update).

I would wanna know if this can be set up not to waste my limited mobile broadband traffic.

Thanks!

abn91c
February 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
I forget what it is called but the update notifier pops up automatially when updates are available, usualy next to the network traffic icon. You just click on it, then run the updates(if you hover the mouse it will tell you how many updates)

ESF
February 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
I really wanna know how does that 'icon' (or command, program, whatever) knows what updates are available.

Does it download all the repos on background mode or... what?

(Note it's a big waste of money if I'm connected via hdspa and it starts downloading the repos)

abn91c
February 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Not sure I believe its from the repos you have enabled, it will do "routine upgrades", kernel upgrades and others if you have added repos like the medibuntu or PPA repos. You can set them up in your "software sources"

ESF
February 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
So, Can't I disable that traffic?

It seems a little hardcore to disable all my software sources every time I want to browse the web from my mobile modem...

Any other ideas?

oldos2er
February 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Open up Software Sources, Updates. Uncheck the box next to 'Check for updates.'

ESF
February 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks, oldos2er, that's what I was looking for...
So, now I can earn and watch my traffic, thank you very much.