PDA

View Full Version : UI Aero, MAC or Linux ????????

bijeeshvs
February 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hello Everyone

DIGIT is computer technology magazine, (http://www.thinkdigit.com/index.php ) i recently came across their guide for linux, in that the person who wrote it compares the linux interface to windows AERO and MAC'S interface and he states that linux lacks the class and covinience of these UI. Personaly i dont think so, but i have dumped windows long ago and was unable to try VISTA and not even touched a MAC, So for me to say about something i have not even tried would be pretty unfair. What do you people think ???????????

i like the drag and drop of Gnome, the mouse scroll without changing app focus, and pretty everything linked to mouse scroll is a nice feature in Gnome, changing transperency with mouse wheel+alt is a feature i love a lot. Is aero and Mac Better than these ? please share ur true opinion

Sand & Mercury
February 22nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
It's a bit hard to even put Linux in the running since it does not even have a UI specifically tied to it.

bijeeshvs
February 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
It's a bit hard to even put Linux in the running since it does not even have a UI specifically tied to it.

Ha ha i love that, but still manages to burn a cd without any GUI, but say abt gnome or kde

zakany
February 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Comparing Vista to Gnome, I'd have to say that Vista is, IMO, a more functional and has a much more consistant look. To get really subjective, Vista feels smoother. I haven't used a MacOS since System 9, but back then it was much more intuitive and useful than Windows.

Sand & Mercury
February 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
In all honesty I find all of the main competing GUIs to be extremely competent. Out of the box, I'd say I find Mac to be best, followed by Vista and then Gnome.

The free open source DEs have made a damn good effort regardless. Mac & Windows have entire teams of trained and paid human interaction experts, so having a solid and good-feeling UI is expected of them. Gnome, KDE and the like only have passionate and capable enthuisiasts, and the fact that they can get together to offer an experience that is even comparable, is really impressive.

bijeeshvs
February 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Is it better than fully loaded Gnome ? (Compiz & Emerald +Themes )

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Class is a matter of personal taste, and convenience depends on what you are using the UI for. I think with Windows a user has to follow the standard layout, whereas Linux allows for much more customisation. Yes the Vista UI for example is like a cascading style sheet and is consistent but all that shiny plastic appearance reminds me of stuff made by Fisher-price.

The Linux KDE desktop is second to none in terms of appearance but I find it awkward to use as opposed to Gnome which is not as pretty at first until you customise it. Some people really don't care about looks as in the case of people who use window managers like sawtooth for example as they either have an older pc or want to streamline and keep overhead to a minimum.

So my next point is that the Windows UI is what I consider 'Heavy' regarding resources to the point where it gets in the way. Vista's UAC is like playing the 'mother may I' game.

emshains
February 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
The best ui/gui/de is the one you've grown up with, because no other will feel the same way, no other will feel like home.

alexandari
February 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
No there`s nothing better than the Linux UI. I dont know if you`r trying to compare linux to windows and mac? A foolish thing...

linux > all

Rokurosv
February 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
I personally love the Aqua interface of OS X. KDE 4.2 Oxygen and Aqua are the best default interfaces imo.
When it comes to theming and customizing Linux is the winner without a doubt.

bijeeshvs
February 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
I personally love the Aqua interface of OS X. KDE 4.2 Oxygen and Aqua are the best default interfaces imo.
When it comes to theming and customizing Linux is the winner without a doubt.

Is there something in OSX or AERO that linux cannot do even with customization ????????

Keyper7
February 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
The best ui/gui/de is the one you've grown up with, because no other will feel the same way, no other will feel like home.

Speak for yourself.

I've grown up with and spent eighteen years of my life solely on Windows. One week of multiple desktops was enough for me to feel better on Linux.

emshains
February 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
I am speaking about the regular home user. I, myself, have used windows for, emm, 5 years until I switched to linux.

amitabhishek
February 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
in all honesty i find all of the main competing guis to be extremely competent. Out of the box, i'd say i find mac to be best, followed by vista and then gnome.

The free open source des have made a damn good effort regardless. Mac & windows have entire teams of trained and paid human interaction experts, so having a solid and good-feeling ui is expected of them. Gnome, kde and the like only have passionate and capable enthuisiasts, and the fact that they can get together to offer an experience that is even comparable, is really impressive.

+1

Rokurosv
February 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Is there something in OSX or AERO that linux cannot do even with customization ????????

Well Aero sucks, I hated it. You can really replicate the look of OS X on Linux, I've tried it. But so far I haven't found a dock that matches completely the OS X dock.

Vince4Amy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Default KDE 4.2 or Fedoras Gnome theme.

boast
February 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
I like OSXs use of the dock and expose for simple window management.

But there is something about KDE4 that I think has great potential.

And its not just about replicating a "look," but the user experience you build around it.

BuffaloX
February 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Oh my oh my,
This brings back memories.
When I used XP I had to install lots of UI extenders to get an acceptable UI.

Winsnap to snap windows.
GrapClickSave to save screenshots
Catmouse to make things under the pointer scroll
VirtuaWin to get virtual desktops.
Quadkey to make hotkeys properly. (I actually had to program that myself, since there were no free programs available I liked.)
StyleXP to get a good looking and compact (functional) theme.

When I started using Ubuntu I thought I'd have to do most of this stuff to get a reasonably functioning desktop. But to my surprise it almost all worked the way I like it "out of the box", just had to download better themes from gnomelooks.

Has all this been fixed with Vista?
I doubt it. Gnome was light-years ahead of XP already 3 years ago, so the earlier mention of open source ability to match MS and Apple, does not give Open Source enough credit IMO.

PS
I just tried Vista the other day, and learned enough to see that they messed up the start menu completely, and I got messages all the time about how Norton antivirus was doing this and that, then some upgrade notifications and other stuff I don't remember. The hole experience was so full of interruptions I didn't really notice the little things.

zakany
February 23rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
Vista's UAC is like playing the 'mother may I' game.

You're comparing Vista's UAC to Linux and find Vista asks you for permissions too often??!?

:o

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Well, I love the way Vista looks, and Mac. They are all pretty easy to use though. Gnome just doesn't look as good until you do some tweaking.

SunnyRabbiera
February 23rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Well, I love the way Vista looks, and Mac. They are all pretty easy to use though. Gnome just doesn't look as good until you do some tweaking.

Upon intitial setup yeh Gnome isnt pretty, but its far more easier to customize then both Vista and OSX.

gymophett
February 23rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
I have mine looking great now.

smartboyathome
February 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I haven't used Mac much, so I can't really comment on it, but I have to say that Vista does look good with custom window borders and SharpEnviro. That said, I also think E17 on my laptop looks just as good, and uses less memory. ;)

kaldor
February 23rd, 2009, 03:29 AM
My favourite GUI is GNOME followed by Leopard, then KDE 3.5

I get more done with GNOME, I always hated Windows GUIs

bijeeshvs
February 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Well Aero sucks, I hated it. You can really replicate the look of OS X on Linux, I've tried it. But so far I haven't found a dock that matches completely the OS X dock.

May be you should try CAIRO Dock, its pretty cool, I think. and if you had already tried it, is osx better than that ??????????/

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Saying that one user interface is best is as foolish a generalization as saying that one operating system is the best. No user interface exists today that meets the preferences and needs of every computer user on the face of the Earth.

Some people like user interfaces that are dependent on graphical representations. Some like minimalistic user interfaces. Some don't even use a GUI at all, as they prefer the benefits of a command line interface.

I like the default user interfaces of Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS X for what they are. I believe they are excellent user interfaces by themselves. They are very solid, are fairly consistant, and are very stylish. However, the customization of all three of these interfaces is very limited.

I do not like the default look of GNOME, nor do I like the default look of KDE. However, I like the fact that I have the freedom to customize GNOME (and, to some extent, KDE) to my will, as I have made numerous themes for GNOME and have released them on GNOME-Look.org.

thisllub
February 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
A solely mouse dependent system will always be inferior to one where a few keystrokes does the job.

I run a Windows VM all the time for a couple of programs. I could use Windows for anything that I use Linux for but I don't.
It is just less efficient in design.
I find the Mac interface painfully slow.