PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] run kde app on remote machine?

kasper22
February 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hi,

I have a htpc in another room that I'm ripping my DVDs on (using k9copy), but it's a real hassle to get up every 10 - 20 minutes and check on the progress. So my first solution was to use vncserver, however as soon as I tell k9copy to copy the disk, the vncserver crashes. So that is no good.

Now I'm trying to find another method, where I can monitor progress without having to get up until the rip is done. One idea I had was to run the application on a remote display. The how to said to do something like this:

On the machine I'm at run: xhost + (I'm being lazy and just opening everything for now)
On remote machine run: DISPLAY=remote.domain:0 k9copy &

This seems close except I get a message "could not connect to x ...", and both machines are running xfce ubuntu.

Anyone know if I'm close on the idea above, or if someone has another idea I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Bryan

kasper22
March 1st, 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm really surprised no one had an answer on this. It turns out to be super simple.

On remote computer make sure in /etc/ssh/sshd_config you have X11Forwarding on: X11Forwarding yes

Then on the machine you are sitting at ssh as such:

ssh -X remote.address appToForward

From what I read it is not very secure to have X11Forwarding just on, so if your machine is open to the internet you might want to do a little research into securing the forwarding.

Bryan