PDA

View Full Version : Custom router firmware --- is it worth it, and why?

el mariachi
February 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have a Asus WL-520GC with a weird behaviour...

Is it worth the trouble giving it a custom firware? Why would that be a good move?

dragos240
February 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have a Asus WL-520GC with a weird behaviour...

Is it worth the trouble giving it a custom firware? Why would that be a good move?

It could give it better performance, but be careful what custom firmware you choose, because some are still in beta, and could get your router bricked.

el mariachi
February 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'm just asking about what the pros are first... I don't even know which custom firmwares are supported by my router (i just know of the existance of tomato and dd-wrt)

fjf
February 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I have the dd-wrt in my lynksys and it is much more stable. Now the disconnections are rare.

matthew
February 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I use dd-wrt on my old Linksys wrt-54g, ver2. The original firmware was pretty good, but dd-wrt gives me more stability, stronger connections, an adjustible signal strength, and better options for traffic filtering based on ports and usage. I am sold and will specifically look for a router it will work on when this one dies or becomes too outdated to be useful.

el mariachi
February 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone! guess all is left to do is try the thing hehe I'll give dd-wrt a spin ;)

OffHand
February 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone! guess all is left to do is try the thing hehe I'll give dd-wrt a spin ;)
Just don't rush it and read the instructions (twice).

el mariachi
February 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
humm I'm already using, without reading them lol the router is behaving half-perfectly (before it was worse). it's better :D