PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pdf converter

abhigyan91
February 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
hey ppl.. i need to convert my .doc files to pdf.. is ther an addon to open office for this or do i hav to install a new software?

also.. open office does not support .pptx and .docx files that well. is there an alternative solution to this?

thx

yeats
February 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
As I recall, OpenOffice does have the save as pdf (may be "export to pdf") installed natively. Regarding the Office 2007 .docx, etc. formats, OpenOffice 3 does open them. Installing it either in place of or alongside your current OOo installation is quite simple and there are several tutorials here on the forums and on the web as to how to do so.

blueridgedog
February 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
You can print your documents to a PDF via the cups pdf printer:

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

As far as the formats go, OOo 3 opens them well for me.

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, Open Office should be able to convert .doc to .pdf natively.

Open Open Office Writer.

File --> Export as PDF

abhigyan91
February 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
As I recall, OpenOffice does have the save as pdf (may be "export to pdf") installed natively. Regarding the Office 2007 .docx, etc. formats, OpenOffice 3 does open them. Installing it either in place of or alongside your current OOo installation is quite simple and there are several tutorials here on the forums and on the web as to how to do so.

eh ok i hav open office 2.4.. how can i upgrade to 3 using synaptic package manager?

cbtengr
February 22nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
eh ok i hav open office 2.4.. how can i upgrade to 3 using synaptic package manager?

Follow instructions here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml

abhigyan91
June 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
thanks a lot.. exaclty what i needed..
tho i dint understand the concept of the 'key' part in the instructions... why is the key required? as in what does it do?

SoftwareExplorer
June 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
thanks a lot.. exaclty what i needed..
tho i dint understand the concept of the 'key' part in the instructions... why is the key required? as in what does it do?

It proves who the person you are downloading the software from is. If you wanted to make sure that you were downloading it from someone you trust instead of any random person, then they could use it somewhat like a digital ID card.

ad_267
June 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Didn't OpenOffice 2.4 have the ability to export to PDF already? I thought it was only MS Office that took forever to get it.

abhigyan91
June 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM
It proves who the person you are downloading the software from is. If you wanted to make sure that you were downloading it from someone you trust instead of any random person, then they could use it somewhat like a digital ID card.

hmmm ok.. thx a lot for clarifying that:)

SoftwareExplorer
June 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
hmmm ok.. thx a lot for clarifying that:)

Your welcome. :)