PDA

View Full Version : What Google products do you use?

urukrama
February 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
A recent thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1076874) made me wonder: what Google services do people use?

I use its search engine, and GMail (though not as my main email account). Occasionally I use Google Video or Youtube, but have never uploaded anything.

The poll can only have 10 options. Google has, of course, a lot more products than that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products). I included a poll to get some sense of how much some of Google's more popular products are used by the members here.

If you use any of the other products -- Orkut, Picassa, Google Desktop, Google Analytics, Google Code, Google Gadgets, Adsense, Android, etc. --please specify them in your post.

binbash
February 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Analytics, Blogger, Adsense

hatten
February 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
search engine, gmail and sometimes youtube (google video)

urukrama
February 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I've added the poll.

OrangeCrate
February 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Search
Gmail
Calendar
Docs

gnomeuser
February 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Search, GMail, Google Reader, Google Maps, YouTube (watch only), Picassa, Google Docs, Translate and Chrome (when on Windows, waiting for functional x86_64 Linux build).

In my house the term "Our friend Google" is uttered daily, sometimes it scares me how much of my information I let them handle but their service is currently far superior and lets me do tasks I consider important at great ease.

vishzilla
February 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Mostly search, email, reader/igoogle

billgoldberg
February 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
A recent thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1076874) made me wonder: what Google services do people use?

I use its search engine, and GMail (though not as my main email account). Occasionally I use Google Video or Youtube, but have never uploaded anything.

The poll can only have 10 options. Google has, of course, a lot more products than that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products). I included a poll to get some sense of how much some of Google's more popular products are used by the members here.

If you use any of the other products -- Orkut, Picassa, Google Desktop, Google Analytics, Google Code, Google Gadgets, Adsense, Android, etc. --please specify them in your post.

The search engine, gmail and youtube.

I am perfectly happy about the search engine and gmail.

Youtube is ok, mostly because everything is on it. Quality wise I much prefer sites like vimeo, veoh (when using windows), blip.tv, dailymotion, ...

jacobw.uk
February 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Android, Google Calender, Google Mail, Google Search & YouTube.

CrazyArcher
February 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Search, Mail, YouTube, Maps and Earth, a bit of Docs and Chrome.

cardinals_fan
February 22nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
GMail and Google Maps are the ones I use most often. GMail offers me lots of space and less obnoxious ads than some others, and Maps has become really useful. The Terrain view is superb and Street View is easy to access.

I also use Picasa and occaisonally Google search (I usually use Ixquick or Scroogle SSL... the latter is Google in the end).

I often use Google Docs for collaborative projects.

speedwell68
February 23rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
You missed off Picasa. I use Picasa, Earth, Search, iGoogle, Maps, Translate and the Googlebar. Don't use Chrome as I don't use Windows.

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Well, there's still YouTube, but they're ditching Google Video. Good riddance in my opinion.

urukrama
February 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Well, there's still YouTube, but they're ditching Google Video. Good riddance in my opinion.

I didn't know they were ditching Google Video.

gletob
February 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
Other than talk, blogger, and Chrome all of the ones you listed. And I use google maps, news, images, shopping, photo, GOOG-411, picasa, and translate. WOW I've never really looked at it that way, I'm dependant on google it seems.

P.S. I would use Google talk but I don't do the whole IM thing. I just like email better because if your not available then your inbox will be still be waiting for you when you are.

chucky chuckaluck
February 23rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
i love google. search, images, maps, gmail. i realize some are concerned with privacy rights, but google concerning itself over matters of my inner sanctum would bankrupt them in short order.

handy
February 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Scroogle.

treesurf
February 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Google search, youtube, iGoogle, Gmail (which I also use to check my work email), and just started trying out Gmail Offline. Gmail's ability to handle other email addresses and now the Gmail Offline feature are making Gmail more and more like an email client. So far, I like it!

konqueror7
February 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
about gmail's offline mode, its good, but doesn't work really good with my firefox extensions...

btw, i use gmail, google reader, google search (duh), youtube, chrome, picasa, and earth...

gonzomalan
February 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
mainly the search, my gmail address is my secondary email address, for use with actual people. i use docs when i'm on a machine that doesn't have OOo (anything to avoid ms, i suppose), and i sometimes watch how-to's on youtube.

edit: in both gmail and docs, i really like the save-on-the-fly setting.

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
YouTube and Google Video. I use Google Video to search videos that aren't hosted by YouTube, such as Metacafe, Dailymotion, and Truveo videos.

GMail. My Gmail account is my primary non-work e-mail address. I also have a secondary Gmail account.

Google Maps. I use Google Maps a lot, especially for searching directions. What I like most about it is how it allows you to customize directions by allowing you to add destinations and change routes to suit your needs.

Google Search. Google Search is just the easiest search engine I have ever used. I tried switching to Ask.com, but then they changed their website and now it's slow and clunky.

Google Translate. I sometimes use Google Translate to translate things back and forth between Russian and English. However, it's not perfect, and I end up using other tools such as Multitran.ru and Rustran to translate words and sentences.

rickyjones
February 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
All of my email funnels into gmail. I use the search exclusively. I also use the mapping/direction service.

Thanks,
Richard

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I didn't know they were ditching Google Video.

Well, I read one article that said that. Because of the economy, Google is having to cut out its failed products. This article (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/15/BUMJ15B4S6.DTL&type=tech) says that they are going to stop allowing new clips to Google Video. So maybe you'll still get to view the videos they already have for a while.

In addition to closing catalog search and Dodgeball, Google said it will stop allowing users to post new clips to Google Video.

Thirtysixway
February 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Google apps for email, calendar, documents
search
analytics