PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with swap space!!!

eshant_engineer
February 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
I had allocated 510 MB of disk space for swap space in partition editor, but as u can see that sys monitr is showing 1.1 GB (which i had allocated when i was using intrepid but now working on ultimate) and not even a fraction of bit is engaged for paging process. I know that it can be solved by updating some file but don't know which commands and where those files are located.

please guide me........Thank you...:)

blueridgedog
February 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Do you have two hard drives?

What happens when you try:

sudo swapon /dev/sda2

eshant_engineer
February 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
This is the o/p

swapon: /dev/sda2: Device or resource busy

xeth_delta
February 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
I might not be reading correctly your question, but will try to venture some insight.

Linux will not use the swap unless it is absolutely necessary (seap is way way slower), i.e. your system runs out of free physical memory. Until then, it will use only RAM.
From what I can see your system still has a lot of free RAM, Hence 0 MB of swap are being used.

What confuses me though, is that your swap partition seems to have been created with approx. 500 MB, while in the System Monitor it shows as approx. 1 GB.

eshant_engineer
February 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I earlier asked abt files, actually i forgot that file name, but it may be problem with UUID, so i want to know that file where UUID is defined.

Simbo
February 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
/etc/fstab

or

type blkid (in a terminal window).

eshant_engineer
February 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
where i can get the right UUID?

blueridgedog
February 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The command:

blkid /dev/device

Such as:

james@Ripstop:~$ blkid /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: TYPE="swap" UUID="aa6d27c8-89cb-4cc3-842a-ab40cc18e3a5"

ibuclaw
February 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
What does this output?

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
A number close to 0 means that Linux is favouring your RAM, which it should, as RAM has quicker access than Disk, and you have 2GBs of RAM free for you to use!

A number closer to 100 means that Linux is favouring your swap more.

By default, I believe the number should be 40, unless otherwise tweaked to increase performance, one way or the other...

[EDIT]
On my machine, for whatever reason, the swappiness is set to 60.
And in the picture attached is my RAM/Swap usage. :)

Regards
Iain

eshant_engineer
February 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
No, in my case also it is showing 60. But abt what tweak u r talking about?
I will implement them to increase performance....:guitar:

zika
February 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
No, in my case also it is showing 60. But abt what tweak u r talking about?I will implement them to increase performance....:guitar:
from Your post we can see that You do not use swap, You have enough memory so any tweaking around swappiness will not make any difference. 60 is default. only once You start using the swap You could see a difference. not for better, of course ... ;)
You might see a performance increase by using tmpfs for /tmp, since You have, at least at the time screen-shot was taken, enough memory but that is another story ... I do not want to get warned that I'm hijacking the thread ... ;)

eshant_engineer
February 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM
You might see a performance increase by using tmpfs for /tmp, since You have, at least at the time screen-shot was taken, enough memory but that is another story ... I do not want to get warned that I'm hijacking the thread ... ;)

How? Since i am asking under Ab beginner talk, i m a newbie, So, u please clear it...

ibuclaw
February 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Although there is no problem using a tmpfs filesystem for the /tmp directory, you may experience problems if you try to manually install an application that extracts, say 4GBs of data into the directory (ie: Quake3 for Linux).

But, other than that small hint, there is no reason why you shouldn't.

To mount /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem (so it sits in memory, rather than on harddisk), edit the /etc/fstab file

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
and put this at the bottom

# tmpfs
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

Save, quit, and reboot.

Regards
Iain

zika
February 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
How? Since i am asking under Ab beginner talk, i m a newbie, So, u please clear it...
easy. I added this line to my /etc/fstab
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0and, then, in FF, under about:config, I added variable named browser.cache.disk.parent_directory (type=string) and set it to /tmp.

that way, Cache directory that FF uses is in /tmp and, since it is tmpfs (file-system), it is in memory (sort of ramdisk in Windows, or, better, in DOS) and is is faster and gets erased every time I reboot or shutdown. at first usage it is good to flush a cache in FF in order to clear the stuff from disk. also, original Cache directory on disk can be removed.

lots of other stuff can be put on tmpfs ... ;) (thanks adamlau http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6703563&postcount=15 :) )

please, since You are a newbie, as You state, take this advice with a grain of salt and be careful. make a note of every change in Your important files and backup. /etc/fstab is very important file.