PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] optus wireless internet

steam driven
February 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
optus wireless internet(Australia) . Can not get working , trying ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 using optus supplied Huwei usb modem (works fine with Vista ouch)Found previous posts re same problem , but no solution . This is my first post anywhere , be gentle

dastasha
February 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Which modem are you using? The huawei e220 or e169?

In Ubuntu 8.04 I use a package called Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC). You could google for VMC... get it from a site called vodafone betavine. I reckon you would just change some settings (APN etc) for optus.

Kubuntu 8.10, Knetwork automatically found my e220. All I had to add was the APN detail for my network provider and I was away.

Either that or you will be mucking with the WVdial.conf file...

There are a few threads on this.
Just google details appropriate to yourself.
Follow links back to this forum... The people here are really helpful...and generally much more knowledgeable than myself;)

steam driven
February 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Great it works. As stated in various threads with 8.10 it works out of the box.Pity no one says how. Info for other frustrated Aussies ,go to
top right of desktp ,right click network icon--click edit--click mobile broadband--click add --forward from welcome screen ,VOILA a list ofAUSTRALIAN mobile providers. This is so easy,but its taken me hours to find. There is of course a list of countries and various providers
Hope this helps