PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE for windows?

workinprocess
February 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Read on their site they are experimenting with it for windows. How safe would it be to switch desktop environments? Would it be easy to switch back?

darthlaidher
February 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
i dont see any link and besides i dont think id try it because something is bound to mess up.

jacksaff
February 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
The underlying libraries kde uses are now available under an open source license for windows which means a lot of kde software will be very easy to port to windows. The whole of kde will probably not get ported. The kde for windows guys actually seem to be doing better than even they expected at getting kde to run on windows though, so who knows, maybe a full kde session will be possible soon. It's not ready yet however and you'll need to really know your way around both kde and windows to be able to see where it's currently at.

Armor Nick
February 22nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe we'll be able to kill windows explorer and use KDE instead :D

k3ttc4r
February 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
well, there are a couple of replacement shells out there for windows, so - why not KDE?

although - i'd prefer gnome..

workinprocess
February 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
i dont see any link and besides i dont think id try it because something is bound to mess up.

LINK (http://www.kde.org/download/#winmac)

I can't find a lot of info on the subject however.

Indeed, I'd also much prefer gnome. However given this opportunity, I'm willing to settle with KDE if they get it working properly.

Are there other desktop environments you can replace explorer with?