PDA

View Full Version : Is "Inuyasha" "Dragon Balll Z" for chicks?

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
So who thinks "Inuyasha" is "Dragon Ball Z" for for chicks. Not to demean the series because it's one of my favorite series (my absolute favorite has to be "Full Metal Alchemist" for those who are curious). The back story on this has to do with me unpacking a huge box of manga and my friend who was helping me was like "Dude, this is like DBZ for chicks." I laughed and said I guess he was right. Regardless, it's still a pretty good series.

tbroderick
February 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
It's published in Weekly Shōnen Sunday. Shōnen is aimed at teenage boys.

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
That's what I thought. Although my copies are the manga compilations made by Viz. Ashame they changed their formate several years back. Made their books smaller. The only up point is they are about half the price they were, but the quality of the art due to scaling has diminished. I liked the slightly larger old style better. It's not like it cost them that much less to take an 1/8 inch off each margin and the cover art on the old one was more attractive than the bright yellow that they use on the new manga books.

At least it still comes on Adult Swim on Sundays, though nowadays I just record it along with a couple other things.

konqueror7
February 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
i think its not for chick...i think those who say that its for chicks are just trying to look 'hard' and 'cool'...:D

JackieChan
February 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Inuyasha is Shonen just like Dragon Ball Z, meaning it's targeted towards prepubescent boys! It's not DBZ for chicks. It's more like a nerfed feudal era Yu Yu Hakusho. :p

And for the record, I do enjoy Inuyasha a lot. Sure it dragged on for a while, but it was still fun to watch. I loved the season with the band of seven. Such great villains - even better than Naraku himself.

Keyper7
February 22nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Ask your friend if his comment is original or stolen from VG Cats... ;-)

*snip* Image removed due to inappropriate language

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Agreed, I thought the band of seven villains and such were pretty cool, but as far as villains go Naraku is pretty hard core, I mean you can't really get more evil than that. Honestly, my favorite character has to be Sesshomaru, who is also possibly the most complex character in the series because he continues to remain a wildcard thoughout the series despite turning out to be fairly decent in character.

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Ask your friend if his comment is original or stolen from VG Cats... ;-)

Thanks, I knew I heard that from somewhere else but I couldn't quite place it :P I read that fairly often. Gotta love VG Cats.

JackieChan
February 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Agreed, I thought the band of seven villains and such were pretty cool, but as far as villains go Naraku is pretty hard core, I mean you can't really get more evil than that. Honestly, my favorite character has to be Sesshomaru, who is also possibly the most complex character in the series because he continues to remain a wildcard thoughout the series despite turning out to be fairly decent in character.
Naraku gave off a very evil essence. His appearance and voice sent shills down my spine several times, but he really lacked decent motives for everything he did. He wanted to become full demon like Inuyasha, but why was he so damn evil about it? Why would he kill Kikyo if he loved her so much? He lacked so many motives for doing everything he did, it was ridiculous. It seems like he was just bored and looking for trouble. What was he planning on doing after he killed all his enemies? He never really aimed at conquering the world. Would have been the perfect villain if, he didn't drag on for so long, had better motives, and more desires.

I wish Naraku went to the present era during the show, that would have been cool.

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
I do agree, but maybe that is what the aurthor wanted. Naraku seemed more like a psychopath: someone who performs acts of evil out of the pleasure of doing it. In that sense he didn't need a motive because he got plesure out of twisting others to his urges. I always got that kind of feel about him. He wasn't out to rule the world, he just liked to create choas whereever he was.

I wish Naraku went to the present era during the show, that would have been cool. Yes that would have been. It would not surprise me if they make a second series (or a movie) since the ending seemed to be incomplete (assuming AS did actually air the last episode). If the creator does she should not drag it out.

shadylookin
February 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Inuyasha is for people that like ridiculously long animes that never go anywhere and don't have an ending. Unless you're speaking of the manga which is for people who like ridiculously long mangas and like crappy deus ex machina endings.

I can see where people might think it's geared toward females in the beginning, but once Shippo comes along I think Inuyasha definitely takes the forefront

trav10475
February 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
What about the idea of it being for TEENAGERS? Both boy and girls? Sounds crazy, yes I know.:p

etnlIcarus
February 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
IIRC, the original manga was written/illustrated by the same woman who created Ranma so I can understand the programme's more, shall I say; soap operatic writing. Plus with the with the world of InuYasha being presented very much through a teenage girl's eyes, you have to expect a particular sentiment.

I used to watch quite a bit of this; was enamoured for a while but eventually the repetition got to me and stopped caring.

And for those left wanting for Naraku's motives, I didn't find him particularly hard to grasp or appreciate. Seemed like your stock-standard narcasisst (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder) (with a touch of megalomania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania)), with a very specific self-hatred relating to his perceived weaknesses and insecurities; in this case his romantic feelings for dead archer chick and her utter rejection of him. When killing her didn't end his suffering, his hatred became inwardly focussed and he sought to shed himself of his humanity.

As he was originally a thief or bandit, understanding his antisocial tendencies isn't difficult and his overall behaviour never seemed to stray too far from that of the socially ostracised self-seeker. His demonic empowerment didn't change that so much as it facilitated the more dramatic personality traits previously mentioned.

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Well I would say that Dragon Ball Z is more of a dragged out soap opera for men with that comparison. The one thing about Dragon Ball Z that I disliked was how a single episode could consist of only five or ten minutes of real content and the rest was "powering up" and such which looked more like the characters had issues with irregularity of the bowels than anything else. Honestly I think sometime before the Cell saga Dragon Ball Z just got old because not because the fight scenes weren't cool because they were awesome, but more-so that the storyline crawls.

I do however, enjoy the Dragon Ball Z movies that CN/AS has aired and thought that they were a lot better of a formate because the action happens faster and the storylines are then better thought out.

Which is why I prefer Inuyasha to Dragon Ball Z in that fashion--Yes, the anime series does crawl and there are a several pointless episodes, it generally doesn't take 5-10 episodes to chroniclise a single battle or happening so things do move on and the story does develop over the series.

As for the melodrama, most anime and manga series have that :P But yes, that is because the point of view is mostly taken from the vantage of Kagome who is just an average teenage female and of course we all know how narcissistic most of those are. However, it's not such a bad point of view to take: had the writer written the series from the point of view of Inuyasha who is an amoral and selfish half-daemon thief i don't think the series would have been as good because (1) the backstor would have already been known which is slowly revealed over the series and (2) point of view often dictates how writers set up events in the storyline so the series would end up being much different

ZarathustraDK
February 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
it generally doesn't take 5-10 episodes to chroniclise a single battle or happening so things do move on and the story does develop over the series.

*COUGH*Naruto Shippuden*COUGH*

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
"Shippuden" is okay, better storyline and fight scenes that "Dragon Ball Z" which seems to be aimied at the same crowd of people that watch men on spandex underwear pile on top of each other (okay, wrestling isn't that bad but UFC is better).

Secondly ninja's are so much cooler than monkeys, even if they are space monkeys (Goku and co arfter transformation), because while the space monkeys are flinging space poo the ninja's as breaking their necks :P (That was some nice imagery).

Plus I do think the battles in Naruto are better than the battles in DBZ. I don't really see the point in Dragon Ball Z. I mean why would Friza and suck go from planet to planet to blow that up if he was so powerful he could just look at the plaet from a distance and blow it up. It just defiyed all logical belief.